Heater Issues

lanciahf

True Classic
Hi All,
I finally have the Scorpion running and my only issue at the moment is the car is missing the HVAC system. The previous Owner ripped everything out.

Since its starting to get cool around here I would like to at least have heat. I do have a heater box from my old scorpion but none of the controls.

I was thinking if the vacuum controls could be replaced by electronic controls I could use the old box. I know they make electronic heater valves.

Anyone have any heater control they want to get rid of?

Another route I can take is fit a hot rod type universal heater?

All ideas welcomed

Thanks,
Ralph

Putting budget issues or non-issues aside, if it seems like restoring the original HVAC system would be a years long quest for unobtanium parts that even when new were of dubious effectiveness, I would be doing some very close study of the universal/hot rod heating and A/C solutions.

One member on XWeb (can't remember who, though) purchased the "mock-up" HVAC unit from one of the major hotrod HVAC suppliers to help in fitting it to an X. If the assumption that a Scorp has more under-dash room than an X is a valid assumption, then maybe contact that member and purchase/rent the mock up unit to see how it fits in the Scorp.

The Scorp has a much bigger frunk than does an X, which works in your favor if you think you might want to mount the HVAC unit in the frunk and duct conditioned air into the pass compartment.

It was Rodger

Rodger's thread on his aftermarket AC install is here.

Since winter is coming and it will be cold all the time, just get a heater core, run some hoses to it and mount a 120mm 12v fan on it. Put a ball valve on one hose for a little temp control. Stick it in the passenger foot well and you can keep warm-ish while you make plans for a long term solution. It is also a great conversation piece. :)

Back in the day was I was building water cooled PCs, we used Chevette heater cores with a Tupperware shroud and a high velocity 120mm 12v fan. This set up moved a lot of warm air for about $40.
wc_rebuild5.jpg

Jim that must be the first water based CPU coolant system developed? Very neat.

Thanks for the tips. I was hoping to find some "universal" vacuum control knobs and use the stock box but I can not find them anywhere. Plus I'm missing some of the vacuum capsules that operate the flaps.

Later I'm going over a friends house to check on some extra Spider heater boxes he has to see if I can make something work.

Pretty common really

Jim that must be the first water based CPU coolant system developed? Very neat.

Later I'm going over a friends house to check on some extra Spider heater boxes he has to see if I can make something work.

Good luck with your search. Just watching the related topics here over the years it seems some of this HVAC stuff is really scarce. I guess a lot of those parts were left in the carcass when the cars were scrapped.

This was a pretty common approach to water cooling, I was just copying other systems. Basically just trying to push unlocked CPUs waaay past their electrical and heat dissipation operating specs. If they popped, you knew you went a bit too far.

Just to show you there was nothing special, it was a a copper water block mounted to the cpu and a little garden pond pump. All the parts are probably in a box around here somewhere if you need them for your car. ;)
wc_rebuild2_1.jpg

Back