Hello folks (long), I'm back and the X is on its way (long way still)

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Hello folks (long), I'm back and the X is on its way (long way still)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 5 2001 at 7:05 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("dhumerto"); // --> </SCRIPT>dhumerto <NOSCRIPT> dhumerto </NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hello you all,

Long time no hear but I've been quite busy. I had my girlfriend over after not seeing her for about two months. Imagine the beauty of working together on preparing the X for a welding and paintjob. Working together on an X is much more fun! Her involvement and growing love for the X makes it even more worthwhile.

The car is at a little bodyshop which is run by one man called Bano from his house/garage. I'm tormenting Bano every day with my visits, inspections and remarks and requests. We take all bad plate out and put new in (the other way around sounds not right). There is allways more rust than you expect. The hood is done which turned out to be a big job. A new strip approx 6" width over the full width of the front is welded on (autogene) including large parts of the structural stuff on the underneathside.

The history from the car is coming forward. Its original color was green. It was last painted red about 10 years ago (23-4-91). I'm gona keep it red. We've discovered all accidents from former owners (no fun and a lot of additional repairwork)!

My front-window-frame is rotten and was filled with bodyfiller level with the window. The strip around the window is long gone. We're gona try to rebuild it!!!! in a little different way.

Did anyone of you ever try this? I'd appreciate any tips. We removed the window today (glued in) and dash and windowrubber (inside of car). Tomorrow remanufacture (as good as possible) the original metalplates from the windowframe so the window will fit: resting on formentioned inner window-rubber in such a way a little gab on all sides will be left. The window will be ‘glued' in with special paste and than the gab will be filled with a window-strip from a toyota (sorry). In that way it will look nicer and compliment the (Ferrari-red with black) colour sceme.

I've got an overhauled shortblock and lots more coming over from the states (David McDaniel thanks for all help!) so I'll be a busy boy next weeks. I'm contemplating what colour to spray the engine. The timingbelt-cover is yellow. Why not go for a shocking different color-sceme under the trunck? Yellow-black in a Ferrari-red engine-bay?!

The whole project is documented with a digital camera. I'd be happy to share some of the pics (including me and Linda working on X). Preparing an X is fun, but I sometimes get the ‘shakes'. I never ever planned to go this thorough and I realy didn't plan to strip so much apart! I hope I can manage to get everything back where Fiat used to put it!

I adopted a briljant idea from Tony Natoli by getting rid of all useless exterior crap. No more Fiat signs (faded anyway), no more turning-lights on the side. No more plastic just before the rear-bumper. It'll be smooth without distracting useless stuff.

Tonight carburator-overhaul. Tomorrow parts cleaning, preping and partial assembly.

Have fun out there.

Humberto
X1/9 ‘75 1300cc
Curaçao, Netherlands Antilles<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Tony Natoli"); // --> </SCRIPT>Tony Natoli <NOSCRIPT> Tony Natoli </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Marry that woman or I will!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 5 2001, 10:49 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->You must be awfully good looking or a very rich man to have a woman actually HELP you work on a FIAT!, much less any car!

I had almost forgotten all about you! Haven't heard a peep... thought you were working on the engine all this time.

Sorry to hear about all the damage under the red paint... If I had a car that I would need to do all over from the point at which you are... and since you like RED, I just LOVE the light beige or SAND color interiors... HArd to come by... usually custom to match all the componants... and notice I did not say TAN... more like a VANILLA! Really POPS... Looks good on green, black, and blue also.

As fer engine bays... I like to color key the engine to the car... on American cars. Makes the engine a "integeral" part, not something dumped in. Most factories had Chevy orange, Ford Blue, Chysler Turquoise or whatever. My brother tells me Ford is not even painting their blocks anymore.

Anyway... the mills that seem to POP at car shows ar the ones that MATCH the exterior colors with ONE other accented color!

A red Ferrari mightr have a Red engine with MATTE FINISHED ALUMINUM highlites. A yellow one, a yellow block with Matte Finished Aluminum highlites.

Follow me. I woulf use trim black on the bay and that would set the engine off... especially in an X. On a Dodge I would gloss paint the inner fender wells body color... as there is plenty of room. On the Fiat... black out the bay, paint the block and head the same color as the car... add aluminum accesories and polish highspots on the valve covers ort whatever.

One "common mistake" I see a lot is chrome mixed with aluminum. Being a high tech smoothy... I'd go with aluminum highlites.

As an example, and to the contrary, on my VERY STOCK appearing White Fang... I have ADDED every CHROME THING I can find... gas cap, luggage rack, beauty rims, etc, as it works well with the white.

The engine though... is cheaply done, but clean and presentable. Its HOT PAINT black, and "machinery grey", with a few buffed aluminun parts... and peeps through the BAFFLE-LESS deck lid.

Just some low key ideas... Ya may wanna go all out with a rainbow of colors like a Mexican Sarape... just do it the way you want~!

(If ya do go with multicolors... maybe a Sarape center panel sewn into the seat backs and bottoms would be fitting... carry the theme into the door panels and with the FIRE RED exterior... You could call it "El Matador!") Dont fergit ta paint the wheel centers RED!

HA!

Best Regards,

Tony Natoli, Two '79s, WHITE FANG and BLACK TOOTH
Santa Clarita, CA, http://americanx19.tripod.com/owner.htm<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("humberto"); // --> </SCRIPT>humberto <NOSCRIPT> humberto </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Engine colour / baffle-less engine cover / bent carburator base<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 6 2001, 7:20 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Tony, as is was writing you a reply this morning before heading to work I (twice) did something very wrong which caused this message to disappear. So for the third time and with more work done by now.....

Baffle-less engine cover. Mine fails the bottom baffles. There is an aluminum plate mounted to prevent my engine from getting cooling air (misbehaviour of PO). Do I understand you right in the proposition to leave bottom baffles out? You will than be able to see the engine ......

I agree upon a simple colour-setting also in the engine bay. I just do not fancy a blackened engine-bay. I does help in covering up ugly stuff, but any engine trouble is hard to detect. What about a red engine bay (body colour) with black engine with alu accents? More ideas are welcome.....

I just dismounted the radiator (heatexchanger) which functions as the heater for the interior. As I do not use it I do not wanna re-install it and short-cut the heater-circuit on the engine. Good or bad idea?

My very much completely rotten windowframe-bottom side is today completely rebuild by Bano. The man is a welding miracle! Is just simply beautifull. Window nearly fits as if original!

Started on overhauling my carb today. Bottom piece which mounts on the intakemanifold is not straight. Its bend. Should I use liquid-gasket it seal it back in or is grinding it to flat surface a better solution?

Till later

Humberto
X1/9 '75 1300cc
Curacao, Netherlands Antilles<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Warren[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->easy carb fix<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 7 2001, 9:37 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Take a piece of glass and some carborundom powder.
Wet the powder on the glass with water and swerel the carb around intil it's flat.Holly's have this happen to them all the time and this is how you fix em. A lot of people get rid of their Holley's for no reason other than this.( Pretty dumb if you ask me,)

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back