Hello from NC

So I was surfing craigslist (which usually ends expensively, like this Fiat project). I found bumpers, locally! YAY. Gave 40 for the pair, they are a lil beat, and for some reason the rear bumper had a tow ball on it :eek: But a very fine steel wool and some vinegar and they cleaned up nicely.

Before:
20180818_195710.jpg
20180818_195719.jpg

After:
20180818_201035.jpg
20180818_201043.jpg

Next challenge, I've read online how-to get the windshield out. I've already removed the outer glued-on trim. Before I pop this all the way out, what is the process for reinstall? Does it just glue back in? How to a reattached the trim, more glue? I want to know so when I'm ready to reinstall after fixing this one little rust hole under the bottom of the windshield.

20180818_202144.jpg

Those are 79+ bumpers, but will work just fine on your 77. Lots of folks dont like the 75-78 bumpers. On my 85, it was missing the bumpers when i bought it, so I installed a set of reproduction 74 bumpers from MWB.

Those are 79+ bumpers, but will work just fine on your 77. Lots of folks dont like the 75-78 bumpers. On my 85, it was missing the bumpers when i bought it, so I installed a set of reproduction 74 bumpers from MWB.
I'm building on a budget, so at $40, it's better than no bumpers. Maybe one day when I've got extra spending cash, I can upgrade. Also, just found a guy with a stock radio mount, also local. He says make an offer, what do you guys think is a fair offer? No cracking or chalkyness

well, **&&^&^$^%$&*:mad::mad::( Wet compression from 1-4: 70, 90, 90, 110 Ugh! Hopefully I can get away with rings and lapping the valves...

20180819_160037.jpg
20180819_160952.jpg
20180819_160955.jpg

Good bye air pump, good bye air injection ports and distribution pipe.

So right above the alternator are the heater return hose connection and the water heated choke return pipes? Such a lovely place for those to be.

well, **&&^&^$^%$&*:mad::mad::( Wet compression from 1-4: 70, 90, 90, 110 Ugh! Hopefully I can get away with rings and lapping the valves...

View attachment 14434 View attachment 14435 View attachment 14436
You have it out now so before you take it apart see if you can figure out what condition the rings and valves are in. If you have or can get your hands on a leak down tester use it now. If you can't get a leak down tester use can just shoot some compressed air into a spark plug hole. Listen for the air that's escaping. Hissing out of the crankcase = rings leaking. Hissing out of an intake port = leaking intake valve. Hissing out of an exhaust valve = leaking exhaust valve. More than likely you'll get plenty of hissing everywhere, but you should be able to determine which leak is worse. BTW - performing the same test post repair can give you an indication of your level of success. Good luck.

You have it out now so before you take it apart see if you can figure out what condition the rings and valves are in. If you have or can get your hands on a leak down tester use it now. If you can't get a leak down tester use can just shoot some compressed air into a spark plug hole. Listen for the air that's escaping. Hissing out of the crankcase = rings leaking. Hissing out of an intake port = leaking intake valve. Hissing out of an exhaust valve = leaking exhaust valve. More than likely you'll get plenty of hissing everywhere, but you should be able to determine which leak is worse. BTW - performing the same test post repair can give you an indication of your level of success. Good luck.
With those compression #s, I know I'm in for a rebuild. Does anyone know if the head is prone to trouble? Will I need to have it and the block decked?

There are engine rebuilds, then there are engine REBUILDS. How much do you want to spend? In my experience you should budget for a valve job with new valves. At minimum new exhaust valves. But a close examination will tell the tale. Budget for rings and bearings too. Then there are gaskets, seals, belts, timing belt idler, etc, etc.
The head isn't prone to trouble, but it will warp if it gets too hot. Has it been hot? It's easy enough to check for warpage once the engine is apart. The block is much less prone to trouble. But a bad head gasket could possibly hurt the deck, again it's easy enough to check once you have it all part. Of course it's not inexpensive to mill either the bock or head, but it's not expensive to check them.

Contact Tim Nine at Nine's Salvage yard in Youngsville, NC and see if he has a good 1500 to plop in there (if that place even exists now....).
The lady I got the bumpers off of recommended him also. I will try calling this evening.
Welcome to Xweb. If you haven't read fiatfactory's, Steve Cecchele, write-up on the SOHC engine I recommend it.

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/ultimate-sohc-engine.22546/

That IS an impressive write up. Honestly I bought this thing on a whim, the floor pans will arrive tomorrow and other than one small spot in the cowl and the battery box, the body is in great shape. If it wasn't for 3 cylinders under 100psi, i'd have just run it as-is. Not looking for performance or big spend. I'd really like to just refresh and ride. Rings, bearings, gaskets, oil pump, water pump, and timing belt/tensioner.

Update, Nine's still exists, but they have zero FIATs apparently not the same folks running it anymore, seems to be a mostly crusher yard

Finally good news. No ridge in the cylinders. I'm going to lightly hone, new rings, bearings and gaskets. I'll drop the head off to have the valves lapped and make sure the mating surface is true....
20180820_190638.jpg
20180820_190622.jpg
20180820_190614.jpg

No ridge is not all that uncommon, and good for you! A light hone and rings should work wonders. Cleaning up the head and replacing the valve seals is a great first step. Take time to inspect the valves closely and make sure they will seal up. It looks like they might be in pretty good shape - again, good for you, good news! Take care with the rebuild, you might be able to get great results with minimal expense.

Good bye air pump, good bye air injection ports and distribution pipe.

So right above the alternator are the heater return hose connection and the water heated choke return pipes? Such a lovely place for those to be.
This is the first time I have actually seen that air injection ports and distribution pipe. Wow that thing is hideous!!! Apparently a prior owner of my car did in fact remove that, but just removed the belt to the air pump and nothing else. That was all removed a couple years ago without much thought so cannot remember how exactly mine was set up or how they are correctly set up.

Back