Help ID locations of these wires in the center console?

think jedi

True Classic
I've got most of the wiring figured out and hooked up. I'm still scratching my head over these leftover wires. Anyone that's more familiar than me with the wiring of these cars, please chime in.

This is dangling beneath the dash on the passenger (right) side. I am reasonably certain the orange wires collected into one connector hooks to the glove box switch. The black ring terminal, IIRC, was just hanging loose in the box when I took the car apart. I assume this is a ground, but where does it attach?
black-ring-terminal-by-glovebox.jpg

This double orange wire collected into a female spade connector. It looks like the connectors that connect to the blades on the back of one of the switches in the console. I can't figure out which one.
double-orange-female-spade.jpg

The double black wire collected into a female spade connector was near the blower lever on the console and seems like it would plug into a switch, but I can't figure out which one. The yellow black w/female spade connector also seems like it would plug into a switch. Again, not sure which.

double-black-and-yellow-black-female-spade.jpg

This black wire with a ring terminal on one end (and a bolt to presumably bolt it to the body somewhere) and a female spade terminal on the other was found in my glove box. Any idea what this hooks to?

black-ring-terminal-with-female-spade-connector.jpg

The red one that is coiled up in the bottom middle of the screen wasn't connected to anything when I pulled the console apart. Digging into the console, I believe it hooks up to the cigarette lighter, correct? Finally, this white wire mounted on the lower left side of the console near the face (right next to the red wire) seems like it's a ground that's unfortunately been cut. Where would this wire lead from?

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 12.53.14 AM.png

tJ

Last edited:
The orange wires are typically powering lights. And black is often ground, but you have to check. It's best to consult a wiring diagram for your year of car when you're trying to figure it out, it changed from year to year.
I'm guessing that the cut wire may have gone to the O2 sensor counter?

Yes, I've consulted the 3x4 foot wiring diagram on my garage wall. I cannot find these wires anywhere. There are no switches, lights, etc on the console that these rogue connectors would go to. All switches, lamps, and accessories have wires going to them on my console, so
🤷‍♂️. I'll just tuck those wires back behind the console and move on.

I'll figure out where to bolt the ground to for the glove box lamp.

I'm waiting on a working clock from Midwest-Bayless to arrive before putting the console back in place.

Also, I noticed that the bottom hinges of the glove box are broken, so I'm going to see about making a new set and fitting them. We'll see how that goes shortly.

tJ

Last edited:
Back