Help needed with profile page

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
My account is currently configured to send me emails every time there is a new post to a thread I am participating in, etc.. I wish to turn off that feature (the email notifications). I've tried "unchecking" (and "saving" the changes) for every related option that I can find under the various profile sections, but the emails keep coming. I must be missing something. Please walk me through this, thanks.

My account is currently configured to send me emails every time there is a new post to a thread I am participating in, etc.. I wish to turn off that feature (the email notifications). I've tried "unchecking" (and "saving" the changes) for every related option that I can find under the various profile sections, but the emails keep coming. I must be missing something. Please walk me through this, thanks.
My guess is that it is a "Watched" thread. I dont use that feature, so I am speculating. If you got to your Watched threads in your porfilr, it looks like you can select a thread you are watching, then turn of the email notifications for the selected thread. Give that a try, it is my best guess.

Thanks Jim,
I just looked and in the "watched thread" section (under my profile) there is the option (check box) to get emails for all watched threads. Previously I had that option turned on, but I've since turned the option off (un-checked the box)...yet I'm still receiving the emails. Any idea why it won't turn off? I did "save" the change. Maybe the change will only effect future watched threads, while the old ones that were being watched prior to making the change will still get messages?

Are there specific threads in your list? My suggestion was to select the specific thread and turn off the email notification.

No actual list that I know of. As far as I know, there is just a general rule to have watched threads send email notifications when updated. That is under the "preferences" section. Each watched thread can be "un-watched" at the top of the actual thread.

There is also an "alerts" section, but as I understand that refers to the little number that shows at the top right corner of the page when you are logged on. They have no email connection that I can see.

Under "contact details" is the option to receive "site emails" from the administrator to all members. I don't think that is linked to the threads updates though.

If you click show all watched threads does the screen that follows list any watched threads?
upload_2018-1-16_15-43-30.png

Yes, by clicking there I get a list of watched threads. Now how does that relate to getting the email notices every time one of these watched threads is updated? Seems like that is a function somewhere else.

EDIT: I think I found something. At the top right corner of the screen with the list of watched threads there is a drop down menu with the option to stop those emails. That should change the existing ones from updating. Hopefully the changes I made in my profile page will preclude new threads from sending email notices also. Combined these might do it. Odd to have to go to two distinctly different portions of the forum to find hidden options like this.

Thank you very much, I'll let you know if that does not work.

I clicked on my name, then clicked on "Personal Details" which has "Watched Threads" selection on the left panel. Click on that and you should get a list of your watched threads. You should be able to manage each watched thread from there.

When I looked at that screen before I only saw where it said "you do not have any watched threads unread". But if I then click on the line below this area ("show all watched threads") the list comes up. I just didn't see that part before. Anyway, I think I found how to change the setting as mentioned above.
Thanks.

Back