Help: Removing stub axles fiat 850 spider

t38bob

Bob Tobin
I’m using a slide hammer and heat…still no luck pulling stub axle. Maybe remove swing arm and ave them pressed out? Any suggestions appreciated. (Bearings making noise so want to replace/repack and have the axle magna-fluxed for cracks).

Dont used a regular hammer as you can mushroom the threaded end of the hub shaft, I would use a wooden mallet and have done on my 600. Also excess heat can ruin the shaft receivers....the round cylinders are filled with rubber. The correct name for these escapes me....its the cylinder on the back of the hub shaft and bearing house that the drive shaft directly connects to, it's gone from my head! 🤔😣
I would soak as much penetrating oil onto the rear of the hub shaft and let it soak in, use mild heat and the wooden mallet or a block of timber between your regular weapon of choice.

Mine came off with a slide hammer, which I attached to an old rim bolted to the hub. Had to wail pretty hard on it to get it off. I believe that FR85 was referring to the axel flex coupler (aka rubber filled flexible coupler) - since you need to remove the castellated nut at the end of the stub axel to get it off, the flex coupler can slide off the splined portin of the axel prior to applying heat if you need to. Hope that helps, Loren

1622502785278.png

I have removed the flex coupler and I’m not hitting the shaft where the castellated nut is attached…using a slide hammer attached with wheel lug bolts…it’s worked fine on my race car but since these have not been removed in over 40 years I’ll probably remove the entire swing arm and take them to a shop to be pressed out unless there’s some other solution I haven’t heard of.

Flex coupler! Thank you!
So it is now off the car and the stub axle is still stuck?
Sorry, I thought this was where your problem lay as on my 600 once I got the coupler off the shaft just slid out.
Its obviously bet into a bearing, with the coupler off can you pull the rear seal off and again soak everything with WD40 or similar, leave it to penetrate and then hit the exterior of the bearing case and see if frees? See if it will release with shock?
Have you a spare steel rim that you can put back on and use this as leverage for pulling from the side and hitting all round from the back?

That’s a great idea…I watched a bunch of youtube videos combined with your idea I’ll come up with something. I’ll post when I figure it out.

I've removed some using a crowbar as a lever on the flange side of the stub axle. Even though it's tempting, even with a nut on the threaded end, I wouldn't use anything to drive the axle out. A slide hammer would be a good method but have never needed one.

Back