Help starting problem

Johnfiat

Fiat Racing
I was trying to start the 76X that I am restoring in the garage this last summer. It was turning over just fine including with the starter jumper when it turned over and the next try it didn’t even make a sound. It didn’t even click. Something went shut off the staring circuit. The last owner of the car re-did the fuse box. Is there any fuse that could have blown? I didn’t see any that where blown with out taking them out. Any Ideas would be great.

John Whitney
Wis X 1/9
&
Lotus FF

It could be...

The small wire came off of the starter solenoid. If it was working fine then stopped completely, that would be the first place I would check. If it's plugged in, you could make a jumper that runs between the starter main power and the small wire lead. Make them long enough that you can contact the wire without having your hands near the engine. BE SURE TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE HOOKING UP ANY JUMPERS. Hook the battery back up and see if it works. If it does, then the issue is futher down the electrical circuit.

My money is on the small wire has come off.

Good luck,

John... now that it is November... are ya gonna try again...

... next spring?

HA!

Hopefully it is something simple like the solenoid wire from the ignition switch falling off... which sounds crazy... but happens a lot on these cars.

If not... then ya need to troubleshoot from the source. Most common problems are the WIRING to the ignition switch and the switch itself. Both carry more current than they are made to handle. Pull the cover below the column and check wiring and connector first for burning... If not there... its time for the voltmeter and drawings. Let us know.

Back