Help with car ID please

MikeHynes

True Classic
It's a long shot I know, but maybe, just maybe, someone here will be able to help. Can you ID the car this came off of?
5f43eb47105aa.image.jpg

The car that this corner of the front bumper came off of ran over my brother last Sunday. He was very seriously injured, but thankfully has not died. Despite that fact that there were two witnesses the police have no clue who was driving that car. Witnesses say the car was traveling at high speed - and swerved to hit my brother who was trying to cross the street. He jumped to try to get out of the way, but he didn't make it.
Any information that may help the police find the driver would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Mike, extremely sad news. Best hopes for your brother's recovery in every way.

Off hand no idea what model car this was from. But if it helps, maybe someone can tell if I've correctly identified the various parts of it and how it was oriented. That may trigger ideas on its origin. Looks to be the right end of the bumper, torn away from the rest of it:

5f43eb47105aa.image.jpg

If I've identified everything right it possibly tells us a couple things; large modern style headlight, very low and wide grill orientation, overall a fairly low profile nose on the car? The way the light is reflecting around where it was torn off, it appears to get wider as it goes down around the end of the grill (i.e. a very wide grill)...but that might just be distorted from tearing. Maybe something sort of like this (although this isn't it):

2018_Toyota_Camry_XSE_14_E885E778AB264251944DE6B75C2701179FA1191D-760x380.jpg

is there by change a manufacture stamp/number on the backside?
thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery
Odie

Mike, terrible news about your brother, sorry to hear that. I assume you have looked for any manufacturer markings molded into the back side of that part?

Mike, very sorry to hear about your brother, I hope he recovers in full.

You may want to post on Grassroots Motorsports. There have been posts like this over the years and the forumites have tremendous knowledge, are very helpful and enjoy the challenge. I hope this doesn't sound like I am trivializing this, just don't have a better way to say it.

Sorry to hear that Mike. Hopefully someone or some business in the area has a camera that captured the hit and run. That part could be from many varieties of modern car. Hyundais and Hondas for sure have that look of the very flat edged wheel well opening in the front fender that transitions into the front fascia.

2019 civic.jpgHyundai.jpg

Thank you everyone. So far he's only lost one partial leg/foot. We all hope that's as far as it goes. The prognosis is hopeful now, it looks like he's going to make it. (At least now he can have a great Halloween costume - ARGGG!)
I don't have access to the part, the police have it and have posted it on their website, hopefully to Facebook too. There were no cameras anywhere around, it was a residential area. It's too bad the eye witnesses couldn't be more helpful in terms of IDing the vehicle. At this point I can't even tell you if it was a car or SUV type of vehicle.
Mike, thank you for the Grassroots Motorsports suggestion. I'm always amazed how some folks can ID a car from a very small clue. Kinda like name that song in one note.

Maybe a 2011-ish Kia Sorrento if the lower black airdam/fender trim piece got torn off?

sorrento.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I hope you catch who did this and your brother gets better! I'd hit up car dealers and body shops to see if anyone needed those types of repairs.

Doesn‘t Google allow you to do image searches?
Telling Google to search for similar images might return a buch of photes of used front bumpers for sale on ebay an CL taken from a similar angle.
You may get lucky.

Can't the paint be scanned and matched to existing paint codes? I hope the police would think of all these things if they are possible.
Good luck to your brother with his recovery.

Jeff: Thank you very much. I think you made a very good match! Even down to the color. I will follow-up with the police on this.
Chaostoy: I don't doubt that the driver is stupid enough to take their vehicle in to get it repaired so soon after the incident, but maybe not? I'll follow-up with the police and see if they can tell me what they are doing. I know that there have been several hit and run incidents in the previous few years so the police have dealt with this kind of thing before.
Ulix: Google thought it was a chair. But, it did find the same photo in the local news and Facebook.
Michael: Excellent suggestion! Thank you very much. I will follow-up with the police. I doubt they would let me take the bumper cover to a body shop or paint store, but it's an excellent idea! (I hope the police have already thought of this.)

I hope the police "have the time" to deal with my inquiries today. Please keep the suggestions coming. If the paint code turns up Hyundai or Kia we may be making some progress!

The most characteristic features of that bumper fragment would be the two creases, and the kink in the upper crease. Crease B is unusually upright, most cars with a crease here have it much more sloped.

Markup.jpg

The Sorento that Jeff suggested matches the overall shape, but crease A is not nearly as pronounced as it needs to be.

Spending some quality time with my favorite car catalog (Katalog der Automobil Revue, published in Switzerland) I found that the 2010 - 2013 Kia Forte Koup (and only the Koup) is a good match:

2012_kia_forte_koup-pic-6564833063969604071-1024x768.jpeg

2012_kia_forte_koup-pic-4170481427555049122-1024x768.jpeg

This might even be the right color.

Last edited:
Kia Forte Koup (and only the Koup) is a good match
That looks closer to it. One problem I saw with the Kia Sorrento shown earlier is the fender arch doesn't seem to match. And I think if the black trim pieces were removed the shape under them will be different. But with both of these vehicles coming from Kia and similar styling periods, there is a good chance the car in question is something like it. ;)

ng_randolph, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. That is right! It was a Kia Forte.

Good news, the car and juvenile driver have been located.

Thanks all for your interest, thoughts, and help. I know this incident has nothing to do with Fiats, but I was hoping that the "car guys" (and gals) here would step up. And I wasn't let down.

Good news, the car and juvenile driver have been located.
That is good news indeed. Hope they hang him!

Not to pry into personal business, please accept my apology and delete this if I'm out of line. But you mentioned earlier that he had intentionally swerved to hit your brother? Any more info on what this whole thing was about? Just seems so wrong on so many levels, difficult to comprehend.

I am unaware of the circumstances surrounding the identification of the vehicle/driver.
I can think of many reasons this why this happened, but at this point I don't know why. Unfortunately I suspect a phone was involved. Whoever he/she is I hope they never do it again.
Thanks again everyone, it's good to know that folks are willing to pitch in and help when it's needed.

Truly sorry to read about your family’s travail. Glad one part of it is resolved, your brother will live with the results for the rest of his life.

In the now seemingly distant past, my eldest son at age 16 was out walking at night and crossed a posted 25mph road on the lee side of a steep hill after a traffic light. As he crossed the center line a car crested the hill at high speed and hit my son, driving over his leg and fracturing his tibia, necessitating a titanium rod be implanted to provide him with the needed support. My son was lucky in so many ways. Seeing a tire track over his calf was a real moment. The driver was never found.

I hope this gets dealt appropriately. All the best to you and yours.

Thank you Karl, sorry to hear about your son. I hope he's over the incident now and doesn't have too many long term problems. It sounds like the incidents were very similar.
There is no way to reverse the damage to my brother, it was very traumatic. But, another life is involved. I can see no need to have more trauma result from this tragedy, and only hope that the driver never, ever, does this to anyone else again. That would be the best possible outcome in my mind.

I can understand that. Previously I misunderstood that it was an intentional act. Had that been the case then I would view things differently. But if it was truly an accident, like not paying attention due to cell phone use, then there is a difference. And as you say, hopefully they learn a lifetime lesson from it.

Not long ago a distracted (cell phone) driver veered off the road and into a block wall on my property. According to witnesses she was going quite fast and never attempted to slow down, obviously still looking down when the impact happened. It caused $30,000 of damage to my wall, but she wasn't injured (her car was totalled). As much as I was angry at the time, I later realized it was just that - an accident. However her insurance company is still playing games and not paying for the loss. I hate insurance companies, but not her.

Back