Help with Heater Valve Orientation

Mark Olson

True Classic
1974 non AC - I am installing my heater box after a couple years of it being out of the car, and I don't recall the proper orientation of the heater valve, and I don't have any pics of before I took it out. Can anyone tell me what I have incorrect in the pics below? The problem is the downspout from the valve is hitting the back of the battery tray - you can see some paint scrapes in the second picture.

20220625_193610.jpg

20220625_193731.jpg

Yes, everything else fits correctly and I had it firmly bolted. The rear nuts are loose at the moment to relieve any pressure on the valve. The dash plenum fits properly and the fresh air panel opens properly.

Here's my '74. The pipes feel like they are hard against the bulkhead. Cable detached from valve because it's stuck open...

IMG_2072.JPG

Roy

Perfect, thanks. Confirms I have things oriented properly. Guess I will disassemble the heater box again and see if I can move the core a little more aft.

You might be able to add a couple of washers under the box's mounting tabs on one side to slightly tilt it away from the bulkhead?

Back