Help with wheel offset:

Chad C.

True Classic
I found a good deal on a set of wheels that are 14x6, and from the stamping on them, it appears from the stamping that the offset is 35mm. I'm not very schooled in wheels, can our cars take such an offset? Thanks in advance for your response.

Am I correct in assuming that the Maserati Biturbo 14 x 6" wheels are a good fit? Not that quality 14 inch tires are much easier to find than 13 inch.

I found a good deal on a set of wheels that are 14x6, and from the stamping on them, it appears from the stamping that the offset is 35mm. I'm not very schooled in wheels, can our cars take such an offset? Thanks in advance for your response.

Since you dont seem to know....I can tell you that a stock Scorpion wheel has an offset of about 24 or 25 mm. So...that wheel with a 35mm offset would result in the wheel/tire being pushed inwards about 10mm. Aside from looking rather goofy......I think you will find that - on the front at least - the tire would now interfere with the spring perch on the strut. A wider-than-stock tire would make things worse. As others have said....to use that 35mm wheel would require spacers - a 20mm spacer would be about right....and have the same effect as a wheel with a 15mm offset ( so a wider tire would clear the strut ). The use of spacers would of course also require much longer carefully chosen wheel bolts - or you could convert to studs ( again carefully chosen ).

Am I correct in assuming that the Maserati Biturbo 14 x 6" wheels are a good fit? Not that quality 14 inch tires are much easier to find than 13 inch.

Opposite problem here......as a Biturbo 14 x 6 wheel has an offset of 6mm. So the wheel/tire would be now about 19mm further out from stock. Which is both good and bad, haha. No problem now with tire clearance to the strut - even with a much wider tire. And would result in a great stance. But.....depending on the tire size chosen....might result in some clearance issues between the tire and fender. But I have seen Biturbo wheels on a Scorpion before...so likely okay. And be aware....that the Biturbo wheels have a very thick hub and require much longer wheel bolts than most other wheels. Or again convert to studs.

Hope this helps. Any questions just ask. Doug

this was my choice. way better rubber and classic look. I also didnt want them to look out of place. I am running a spacer on the front, but only to clear the brakes.
IMG_3651.JPG

IMG_3582.JPG

Back