Here is another k20 swap.

View attachment 25979 View attachment 25980 the panel is made out of 1/8-in aluminum, with two gusses welded to it. Below that is an aluminum heat shield with floor and tunnel shield insulation applied to it. The floor is screwed down to the frame rails on the sides, the stock engine cover locations in the front, in the rear I added a crossmember attaching the two frame rails to each other that it rests on and is screwed to. It is rigid and light. It it should keep the heat out of the trunk.

That is going to be a hot panel. Aluminum is a very good conductor and will transfer all the heat it receives into the trunk. You may want to rethink the material choice and arrangement to better manage the reality of the heat being produced just below.

Great work all around.

I like the Camaro bumper, it really looks good on the car. It does have the old Elan look to it (the Elan face is flatter and less pointed) but this is a good and appropriate look.

That is going to be a hot panel. Aluminum is a very good conductor and will transfer all the heat it receives into the trunk. You may want to rethink the material choice and arrangement to better manage the reality of the heat being produced just below.

Great work all around.

I like the Camaro bumper, it really looks good on the car. It does have the old Elan look to it (the Elan face is flatter and less pointed) but this is a good and appropriate look.
Thanks for the compliments. I understand the concern about using aluminum because it is such a good conductor of heat. But part of the reason I choose aluminum is because it doesn't conduct radiant heat well. And I think much of the heat in the area is from the radiant heat from the exhaust.

Thanks for the compliments. I understand the concern about using aluminum because it is such a good conductor of heat. But part of the reason I choose aluminum is because it doesn't conduct radiant heat well. And I think much of the heat in the area is from the radiant heat from the exhaust.

You will find an amazing amount of direct transfer, my OE cars entire rear ends get notably hot, like the entire area from the engine back. SS is much better at rejecting radiant heat and not transferring it to the other materials it is attached to.

Fiat did insulate the floor of the trunk for a reason.

Either way you will find out. :)

the panel is made out of 1/8-in aluminum, with two gusses welded to it. Below that is an aluminum heat shield with floor and tunnel shield insulation applied to it. The floor is screwed down to the frame rails on the sides, the stock engine cover locations in the front, in the rear I added a crossmember attaching the two frame rails to each other that it rests on and is screwed to. It is rigid and light. It it should keep the heat out of the trunk.

index.php

index.php

Nice. DId you also coat it with a layer of that DEI heat shield?

I've mulled over various options, since I did also cut out the floor & then add back 1" square tube as a land for a removable panel. I decided to make mine in two parts, but I didn't leave the forward wide open as you have it (I do like the space you have gained). I'm using aluminum for the access panel & SS for the trunk floor.

Great looking mods. Very well executed by the pics.
What are the rear lights from? I'd thought of getting a set of Ferrari lights off FleaBay but the cost!:eek:
I've just ordered a 50" light bar for mine to set into or replace the aluminium bumper.
Your soln looks nicer but mine will fry roos at 200m.:p

Great looking mods. Very well executed by the pics.
What are the rear lights from? I'd thought of getting a set of Ferrari lights off FleaBay but the cost!:eek:
I've just ordered a 50" light bar for mine to set into or replace the aluminium bumper.
Your soln looks nicer but mine will fry roos at 200m.:p
The tail lights are Partsam 4-in round trailer lights. I found them on online. PN 197397 and 197398. I think they give the back of the car a nice modern look. Before finding these I was looking at the Saleel S7 tail lights. If you're still looking those might be a nice option. if you haven't seen them there a hella round tail light.
https://www.rallylights.com/hella-4169-series-125mm-round-sae-rear-signal-lamp.html

The tail lights are Partsam 4-in round trailer lights. I found them on online. PN 197397 and 197398. I think they give the back of the car a nice modern look. Before finding these I was looking at the Saleel S7 tail lights. If you're still looking those might be a nice option. if you haven't seen them there a hella round tail light.
https://www.rallylights.com/hella-4169-series-125mm-round-sae-rear-signal-lamp.html

Those (the Hellas) are what I used when I got rid of the factory lights years ago

Nice. DId you also coat it with a layer of that DEI heat shield?

I've mulled over various options, since I did also cut out the floor & then add back 1" square tube as a land for a removable panel. I decided to make mine in two parts, but I didn't leave the forward wide open as you have it (I do like the space you have gained). I'm using aluminum for the access panel & SS for the trunk floor.
Yes, I covered the whole thing in an aluminum coated fiberglass heat shield. Based on what kmead was saying the SST may be a better choice.

Last edited:
Cool custom work, very original front end treatment. You're probably tempted to use plexiglass covers, but I suspect the HID bulbs will melt them. (Saw it happen on others) Would be interested to see what stationary aluminum louvers would look and function like? Its got a really unique "Ferrari Daytona and Alfa Montreal had a baby" thing going on... :)

Cool custom work, very original front end treatment. You're probably tempted to use plexiglass covers, but I suspect the HID bulbs will melt them. (Saw it happen on others) Would be interested to see what stationary aluminum louvers would look and function like? Its got a really unique "Ferrari Daytona and Alfa Montreal had a baby" thing going on... :)
Thanks for the compliments and all the help along the way.
You are right I am planning on using plexiglass covers. But I will be using LED bulbs.
Do you know if they will still get to hot?

IMG_20191022_221226.jpg
IMG_20191022_221214.jpg
IMG_20191022_221119.jpg
I still have a bunch of straighting to do. First trial fit.

Does anybody have any good ideas what to do for blinkers now that you see kind of the theme and style the cars going towards?

I would maybe look into incorporating the blinker into the side mirrors , if thats even possible with their small size.

Back