Here is another k20 swap.

Ya, I noticed that damage had disappeared in later pics. Sorry to hear of the incident, but glad it is resolved. :)

Interesting about the pool ball. I've never heard of such a thing, but then again I'm not a pool player. But I have seen similar shifter knobs offered like that.

Awesome that your daughter is working on her own first vehicle. I did the same thing, and at the same age (actually 12). Unfortunately I did not have the guidance of my father, so it took me three years to completely restore and customize the car - a Triumph TR4 (the first and last British vehicle I'll ever own). So I completed it just in time to get my drivers license. I'm glad there are finally more girls getting interested in cars in general. Sure wish that had been the case when we were that age. Excellent the the two of you are doing this together. ;)

That is not for me. It is a 1956 cj5 it is my daughter's she is 13 and the plan is to have it as her daily driver. So far (when the Fiat was in the body shop) she rebuilt the transmission and transfer case. And helped me mount the motor.

That is awesome! Awesome that she is interested in the first place, and awesome that she is motivated enough to apply herself to the task! My daughter developed enough skills as a teen to deal with (assisted) diagnosis & minor repairs on her college Volvo - she had no interest in going further than she had to :D

I am curious why you made the fan mount a flat sheet - when I first did that - I got all kinds of flack regarding shroud design - and mine was elevated off the core :D

index.php

According to my radiator expert (Mattson: https://the-fan-man.com/), the leading edge of the fan blades should be between 5/8" to maximum 1" away from the surface of the radiator core. The shroud should be about the same, but it might be a little more or less depending on how the fan frames (shrouds) are designed.

So Russians have bigger balls than Americans, who have bigger balls the the English? :p

I never know there were so many versions of "pool".

I guess the Americans & Russians need bigger balls because they lack the manual dexterity required for pocketing the smaller ones ? 🤪

EDIT - apologies for sullying your thread

Last edited:
I wrapped the gauge surround. Now the dash is pretty much done except for the ends and the trim pieces. I've always been a pretty firm believer that one the best parts of the car should be the dashboard. As you look at that more than any other part of the car. At least I do cuz I like to drive them.
PXL_20210220_035333859.jpg
PXL_20210220_035345772.jpg
PXL_20210220_035403759.jpg

How do you sew the foam to the vinyl without it 'bunching' in the machine? Do you use some sort of tissue/paper underneath?

How do you sew the foam to the vinyl without it 'bunching' in the machine? Do you use some sort of tissue/paper underneath?
I used my upholstery glue to attach the scrim foam to the leather. Just a thin coat on each fabric side away from the leather. And on the sewing machine I bought a walking foot attachment that pulls the top material and the bottom at the same time. This keeps the stitches about the same size.

The door panels took a lot longer than I thought. It doesn't look like a lot of progress. But I feel like I've got a whole lot done in the past week.
New Seat belts mounted, call the plastic for the seats painted. And door panels installed.View attachment 44182View attachment 44183View attachment 44184View attachment 44185View attachment 44186View attachment 44187View attachment 44188View attachment 44189View attachment 44190
More great work. Congrats on a job very well done.

Very nice job. 👏

Just curious what you used to secure the water barrier sheeting to the doos; putty, foam tape, body trim tape, ???

Very nice job. 👏

Just curious what you used to secure the water barrier sheeting to the doos; putty, foam tape, body trim tape, ???
I used butyl tape 3/32 by 3/8 of an inch. 1615140004353540611182117144650.jpg
It's not as sticky as 3M strip calk. 16151401061866838360076695942950.jpg
It worked really good I'd use it again for sure.

Finally the weather is nice enough to drive again! Oh is this thing fun! And so much quieter with a full interior in it. On my way home from work I rolled it across the scale.
My goal has been to keep it light planning to be under 2000lbs.
And another win 1922lbs with almost a full tank of fuel.
PXL_20210312_221639126.jpg

Did you find the depth of the butyl tape made it difficult to refit the door cards, i.e. it doesn't look like they're floating off the door itself by 1/4"?
No the thickness of the tape was not a problem. The tape will flatten out. When the plastic is pressed on. And as the door card is pressed against it it will flatten out more.

I used a snooker ball BITD, just a little smaller and no numbers or anything. No pics unfortunately but easy to do, I used green.

Back