Hey Angelo: leightweight X

Ulix

True Classic
Hi Angelo,

I think Myron once wrote about your car, but I would like to know what you did to get your car to 1670 lbs with it still looking like an X.

Would you care to tell us a little about your car and what you did to it?

Thanks, Ulix

From what I remember...

Hi Ulix, sure. First I have to preface this by saying I’ve built this car with no rule set to follow, and only to my liking. Also, I would have a difficult time calling my X completely road legal, depending on the road conditions. And, for my use as a slalom car, a back road burner, and fair weather car that only comes out when it’s sunny with minimal chance of rain, it does the trick. So, in no order and from what I remember as I lost my notes a couple of years ago here goes:

8 lbs front hood secured with pins -23 lbs including hinges
2 lb trunk lid also with pins. Not the generic pins found at the auto places, I made my own as they were lighter. –16 lbs with hinges
Spare tire cover and parcel shelf replaced with lighter corrugated plastic, -3 lbs
All sound proofing on the cabin or engine bay removed –17 lbs
Rear glass to Plexiglas –7 lbs
Rear glass support -1.7 lbs
Seat belts, and all sheet metal support removed for harnesses
Sparco seat bolted to the floor -9 lbs
Various front and rear lid weather stripping –4 lbs
Radiator fan –4.5 lbs
Mitsubishi 40A alternator and support –5 lbs
Stock wheel spacers –3.8
Injector cooling fan –5 lbs
Aluminum accessory pulley –1 lb
Door beams –19 lbs
Fuel tank insulation –2 lbs
Wiper motor –5 lbs
Windshield reservoir –3 lbs
G-force flywheel -8 lbs
Radiator support out of aluminum –4.3 lbs
Scirocco rad –7 lbs
Aluminum overflow tank –2.5 lbs
Aluminum coolant tubes –5 lbs
Brake splash guards –2 lbs
Utility battery –16 lbs
Headlights and motors, often out, occasionally in, -11 lbs
Radio and speakers –7 lbs
Bumpers converted to small pads and aluminum tubes, can’t remember for sure, but somewhere around –40 lbs
Jack and tools –6 lbs
Spare tire, using inflatable sealer –23 lbs
Heater system –6 lbs
Sun visors –1 lb
Coilover conversion –12 lbs
Machining 4 rotors on hub surface –2 lbs
Charcoal canister –3 lbs
Targa liner –3 lbs, although realistically I never drive the car with the roof, so –22 lbs
Targa storage rubbers, -1 lb
Re skinning the interior in cloth including door skins, firewall, removing various bits of interior trim and painting black-10 lbs
One horn –1 lb
Arm rests to simple pull handles –3 lbs
Driver’s rear view mirror netted against lightweight dual mirrors –1 lb
Removing all wiring, relays, etc for deleted systems and cutting down the lengths of required wiring –13 lbs
Engine cover rain tray and weather stripping –6 lbs
Engine cover spring stay –1.5 lbs
Air flow meter –2 lbs
Converting to prog. fuel vs Bosch -2 lbs
Passenger seat –27 lbs, hey I needed the storage space for slalom tires!
And a ridiculous amount of sheet metal in the trunk area, and many unnecessary brackets, tabs, studs, etc.
I’m sure a lot won’t approve or at least wouldn’t go to the same extreme, and that’s cool. For me, even though it has a limited window of use, it doesn’t bother me. The goal was always to keep full dash, and interior, but delete as much below the surface as possible. My 1670 may not be a realistic figure, but it’s representative of ¼ tank of fuel on the slalom course. I guess adding back the seat and headlights would bring it to 1710 or so. I’m patiently waiting for a composite engine cover, and a lighter hood, and debating the plexi windshield and aluminum dash:)

Great memory!! :)

Thanks Angelo for the details!
Very interesting to see what can be done with a lot of detail work.
Do you have some pics of some of the details of the car?
I have only seen the YouTube vid with the annoying automated announcer voice :)

Ulix

Hello here!
Will add a bit of info from other thread that has been pointed and something that will add by myself
2192ADF6-0922-480B-873F-AF35B3A77F30.jpeg
AC10D8E4-BB27-4BD2-9529-02F60EF70959.jpeg
95F00806-C4D4-4576-B7A7-E1AF15885F4A.jpeg
83295E36-F600-423E-9F4E-6C895A9E6933.jpeg

1981 seat that has lost weight through rust process = 12.3kg
Apparently there is a lot of difference in the design between my '79 and '86 seats, although both are 1500/5-speed X's. I've never owned a 1300 so cannot say about those seats. But I recently noticed the seats from the '79 feel heavier than the '86, however I haven't weighed them to verify. Also the '86 seat without the adjuster rail on it is much lighter than with it (these later seats have a rail that bolts onto the seat - not sure what year that started). So the pair of adjuster rails weigh quite a bit on their own. But these do not leave half of the rail on the floor pan like the '79 does. Off topic, but it is a huge pain to mount the later ones on the earlier floor.

Back