Hey, let's put the radiator in the rear!

I also first went to the dunes in the 70's. And as you say, the toys were home built simple machines. With all sorts of power plants. VW's were most common. The first time I went to Pismo was with a group that had several Renault powered buggy's, and the rest had stripped down Jeeps (with paddles on all 4 corners). I recall the aluminum block Olds was a popular V8 option.

Then I stopped going for a few years before returning in the 80's, and what a difference. There were still a hand full of the home built ones but they were considered obsolete. The majority were based on premade tube frames (some mid-engine) and VW suspension/power. Then by the late 80's things really changed as high dollar custom pro-built toys started appearing. Good times.

I've been able to increase the clearance just by using a thicker gasket (cutting my own in at least one case).
The easier way is to put the pump in a vice (or in a press) and press the impeller a bit farther onto the shaft (increasing clearance). Or (in my case) use a puller to pull the impeller the other direction to decrease clearance.

Lots of vehicles have had rear located cooling systems.

Water cooled cars with radiators in the back. Not a comprehensive list but certainly constitutes "lots of vehicles". I kinda winged the list so correct me if I'm wrong.

Hillman Imp
Renault 4CV
Renault Dauphine
Renault R8
Renault R10
Renault Caravelle/Floride
Fiat 600
Fiat 850
Simca 1000
Skoda 110
Skoda 1000
Probably many others Skodas/GAZ/Lada/ZAZ/etc.

Thanks Paul, I really wasn't interested in playing 'trivial pursuit' earlier. I seem to recall there's been others as well. And "cooling systems" does not necessarily imply water based. But frankly I was speaking in general terms, making the point that having a radiator in the rear isn't impossible or even impractical.

Back