Hey Mac... thanks for the poll... and...

Black-Tooth

Tony Natoli
... I can see once again I'm probably in the minority... but I will patronize myself with knowing that IMHO, those that are RIGHT, usually are!

Anyway... I've noted lately that when I respond to an email that a response has been posted to one of my threads... when I click on it... I don't always end up at the respondants post. In fact, I can click three times and end up on three different threads!

I also am getting emailed responses to OTHER threads than mine...

Anyone else having this problem that you know of?

Tony

hmmmm

Hi Tony thanks for the comments, my whole entire goal with development of Xweb 2.0 is to try to take the massive laundry list of everything ten years worth of users have told me was wrong with N54 and address them, either through (preferably) 2.0 offering an ability to USER-SELECT such items (tree vs digest, grey vs white, sort order etc) or in cases where I still can't do that, to simply change the forum arrangements around in such a way as to address them for the broadest possible cross-section. Of course I will never be able to please everyone, and yeah of course the majority is not always going to please everyone either, but all I can do is the best I can do, which in my view, is to make 2.0 as appealing to as many of our users as I can...

You're not alone though Tony, even I still look at N54 and think (as a fellow luddite) why change anything? But it has been ten years and that is a ridiculously long time for any forum to remain "the same" honestly that is about a million years in "technology time"... so here we are taking the plunge and hopeful that 2.0 will bring us an even larger/broader variety of users, because, no matter what anyone's personal preferences for the forum arrangements are, more Xheads desiring to get actively involved is ultimately the biggest payoff for us all as a group. More Xheads = more info, more tech knowhow, more cars being helped to stay on the road.. these are my motivations for everything I do here. Sorry I'm rambling again :rolleyes:

As for the email issues you mention, I have no knowledge or experience with them (yet) myself because I've not ever yet used the "email subscription" system on 2.0 (beyond 'initial acceptance testing'). I will have to go start subscribing to things here and wait to get some emails out of the system as you describe in order to try diagnosing any problems... so it may take a little while... but I will go start looking into that right away. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, and yes, if anyone else is having similar problems with it please let us know!

Thanks again :)

Lost

I cant stand this new format. Im so lost its not funny...The only reason I can post here is that its the only post I can find... Jeff

double hmmmm

The biggest challenge for me as the "host" (the guy who is supposed to be able to explain everything here) is that all these new options people have begged me for so long are turning out to be double-edged swords...

I can now offer people their own choices for all these different view settings that people constantly complained for years on N54 they lacked, but, now that we all have them, it's made it next to impossible for me to explain how to "get around" to anyone because I have no real clue offhand what people have set their views to, which variations on can cause viewing/navigation etc to work entirely different from one user to the next, when someone tells me they have a problem I have an even bigger one diagnosing it because I have no clue how they are currently configured which is the largest part of how things get presented or function, not even mentioning which of various operating systems, browsers, etc people may be using...

So JJ can you offer me something more specific to go on besides "I hate it this sucks"? I would like to help you get set up and oriented/acclimated here but I'm going to need some specifics... sorry for the growing pains :(

And HEY!! You are the guy who kept beggin me to pick vbulletin ("fchat"!)?!? WTF! lol :rolleyes:

re: emails

I have yet to confirm this Tony but a thought just occurred to me, a possible cause for what you are describing. Because we are still "beta" over here on 2.0 and I have been doing a LOT of hacking, tweaking and system modifications, code updates/upgrades etc, I have been pretty frequently performing "out of ordinary" tasks on the database, such as reconstructing forum/thread/post counters, rebuilding data after certain system changes etc, and as a result, it is theoretically possible that these actions might have altered thread/post ID information between the time that your emails were sent to you and the time you clicked into the links in them...

If that is the case, it is possible the outdated (in terms of happening before my system changes) links you got could redirect you to some other post/thread/place whose location was changed/modified in the interrim. Once we get this system a little more stable I would no longer have the need to be doing these rebuild maneuvers to the data so often, and then, that sort of thing (if my theory is correct) would not happen. I am suspecting this may be in play as a possible cause. I will try to keep that in mind and only do such tasks as infrequently as I can get away with. Bottom line is in any case once we get more stable on the system end you should see such 'errors' a lot less often... Thanks again

"the only post"..!?

The only reason I can post here is that its the only post I can find...

WHOA sorry I'm a little slow this morning, I just re-read that comment and took it literally instead of figuratively - so do you mean it is LITERALLY the only thread you can see?

If so, you are a victim of the tree hack, go see this to fix it:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1225219923

In case you don't see this later, I'll PM it to you also

I offer my service as a lobbyist, I accept cash, paypal, and parts. :)

I am also the guy who makes those Xweb 2.0 Computer learning CD's, so wont you buy my product. :D

<3

I'm kinda moaning today also... goes with old age...

... but yur still YOUNG... right?

WHOOOOOOPS!

This thread here worked OK as I got an e-mail response and when I clicked on the URL... it brought me to the correct spot to respond... but...

I didn't receive an e-mail because of apec's response... and I'm still receiveing emails for all the Daily Driver polls, and they are NOT in a direct thread below mine. Strange huh?

Well... work on what MAJOR issues you feel you need to fix first... and we'll see if something else flushes out these gremlins. We can tune into these things later.

Oh... one last comment on the combining of the DF and Tech threads. Many times, we like an audience of the largest magnitude when we post a comment or ask a question... and that is probably why I don't like the multiple forums. Frankly... since we have the TWO "adult" forums... I rarely look at either of the BS forums... and only the FS&W when I need to sell or procure something... which is rare.

LASTLY... what about the Best Of Archives I spoke of earlier... I think capturing and saving that stuff is a must.

Keep up the good work...

In response

Hi Tony, I'll try to answer your comments/concerns best I can.

My understanding of how this system is designed (I am still learning but based on some research) how email notification works on vbulletin is that you subscribe to a thread, then, you will receive only *ONE* email to inform you of whatever first new reply comes to the thread, and after that, you will not receive any further additional mails about that thread until you come visit and read it again.

This is set up to economize the amount of email the system has to generate as well as the number one receives. Or at least, thats what I was told. So if you came and read the thread after every notification, you would receive another the next time a post is put up on that thread, but if ten posts come in before you read it again, you'd only receive an email about the first new one. Make sense?

I do not know whether that can be altered, but I'll look into it.

As for the other threads you received emails about, it's only again because someone came and posted new comments to those threads, I'm assuming. The forums default to "bump mode" on 2.0 now so the "location" of the threads is irrelevant in relation to you receiving emails about them. In bump mode they could be in whatever sort order based on last reply time, but, still send a mail to you when a reply comes in. If other threads ended up "between" them in the forum, thats because those threads had other new replies as well, you just weren't subscribed to those so got no email about them.

I think that is what is happening, anyway.

About the division of DF & WF I understand what you are saying, but, it would be just as valid to say (in fact it has been said) that it is not that hard to click an extra click to get between the sections (literally one click). We'll just have to give it time and see how it works out...

And YES TONY :p BEST OF! I KNOW! :D We'll get there! We're going to do a WF/Wiki combo for it, we're just not there yet... Patience my friend! I have not forgotten your offer to pitch in on it :)

Stay tuned and thanks again for all the input. I'll look further into the email subjects as well to see whether there are any alternatives for altering how it handles notifications.

PS - THREAD vs FORUM subscriptions

Hey Tony, here is one more idea that might help you out if you're habit/preference is to monitor Xweb via email as opposed to coming into the forums. Instead of using "Subscribe to THREAD" here, you could instead try out the "Subscribe to FORUM" option.

The difference is, if you are viewing the contents of a post/thread, and you see up top "Thread Tools" menu inside which is "Subscribe to this THREAD", if you use that, you'll get the one email notice on the next new reply between times you "read" the thread, but no additional emails regarding that specific thread, as mentioned previously.

If you instead go out to a forum section's main page (eg: where all that section's threads are shown) and look up top you'll see a menu "FORUM tools", and in there, "Subscribe to this FORUM". If you use that instead, what you will get is, still one email, but a full-on list-style digest email containing all the new posts in that forum. You can also select 'daily' or 'weekly' for frequency of email digests sent to you.

So if you canceled all your thread subscriptions and instead just subscribed once each to the forum sections that interest you (eg: DF & WF) you would receive a digest from those forums containing everything marked "unread" since your last email or visit. Or that's my (still developing) understanding of how it works, anyway...

Right now the FORUM subscription digest emails get sent out around 9pm pac time (and individual thread ones go out around 9:30), if you have another preference I can set it to a different time :)

And remember folks if you ever want to modify/cancel your existing subscriptions you can do that by logging in here and going to the UserCP link up top.

Hope this helps

Back