High Praise

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]High Praise<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 9 2001 at 10:56 AM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "k";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "u"; document.write("mike engel"); // --> </SCRIPT>mike engel <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->This message is about a week overdue, but I wanted to express my thanks in a public way to Steve Hoelscher for his help in getting my X1/9 running so well during my recent visit to his house. Not wanting to tie up too much storage space on the server, I'll be brief. As noted by my previous postings, I bought a Bertone X1/9 in November and am intending to restore him to original condition (my kids named the car "Louis" because of his Louisville, KY origin). When I bought the car, I knew of two main problems, a disfunctional 5th gear and unpredictable starting. Otherwise the car is in exceptional shape. Since this is my first foray into auto repair, I was pleased to find the folks at this site so generous with their responses to my questions. In one such response, Steve Hoelscher indicated that he lived about 100 miles away. So, I contacted him and we arranged to get together on a Saturday afternoon to address the 5th gear problem and whatever else we had time for. When I arrived, we took a quick gander at his racer, brought my car into the garage and put it up on jack stands, then set out for some lunch. It was a good chance to get to know one another. As a doctor, I enjoyed hearing stories about his physician grandfather. As an aspiring X-head, I enjoyed hearing about Steve's interests and exploits as a racer. We headed back to the garage and got started on Louis. In short order we were into 5th gear and along the way I got a crash course in the mechanics of the X1/9 transaxle. Steve tolerated my stupid questions and always gave thoughtful answers. As a "neophyte", it was exciting to see the repair first hand and to have some of the mystery dispelled. We replaced 5th gear, the synchro, and the slider and then put everything back together. Steve also noticed that the car ran a bit hot, and in checking the cooling system discovered that someone (read moron) had re-installed the radiator displaced to the right so as to make the radiator plug inaccessible. In so doing, they also bolted the radiator to wrong place on the chassis. To correct the problem, we had to cut a small hole in the chassis for access, cut the bolt off and install the radiator in its proper location. We then moved on to the starting problem, but by this time it was dark and getting pretty cold outside. By cycling some connections and tightening all the grounds (and a gentle bang on the solenoid), we were able to get the car started and I was on my back home. Throughout the day I sopped up all kinds of wisdom about general maintenance and preservation and took my first ride in an honest to goodness race car (very cool!!). As I drove home with the car running rock solid in 5th, at the right temperature and with the songs (I'm not making this up) "Start me up" and "Full tank of love" playing on the radio I had a chance to reflect on what had happened that day. I learned a lot. I met and got to know a very interesting person. Much of the mystery regarding the mechanics of the car were dispelled (which is very empowering). But most of all, it was the bigger picture that I was struck by. Steve showed a kindness and generosity of spirit which are hard to find today. That same spirit is reflected in discussion forums like this one, and it is my priviledge to be able to participate. I hope that as I learn I'll be able contribute in a positive way as well. In the last week I have replaced a fuel line, fixed my power windows and horns, detailed the car and in general have gotten to know the car much better, so I'm getting there. So much for being brief. I just thought that it was important to let people know of this terrific experience and my indoctrination to X-headism. Happy motoring to all.

Mike
happy.gif
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Tony Natoli Santa Clarita CA[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Well said, Mike...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 9 2001, 7:30 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->What takes this a step further is just about everyone on this site would/will do the same thing. Not everyone has the rather extensive background Steve does... but they all seem to have the same "life" philosophy, and are willing to share what they have, be they parts, time or labor.

Rather amazing... and centered around a kinda funny little car, too!

Tony<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "L";n54_em = n54_em + "N";n54_em = n54_em + "M";n54_em = n54_em + "P";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Kyle"); // --> </SCRIPT>Kyle <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->It's amazing....<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 13 2001, 7:47 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->how a little car named X1/9 can bring people together. It has happened over here too.
Cheers,
Kyle<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Steve Hoelscher[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Untitled<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 14 2001, 8:47 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I will thank Mike for the kind words, but as is noted above, I don't think I did anything that anyone else here wouldn't have done given the opportunity and ability. Over the years, many X's have found their way to my humble garage for me to tend to their needs. I have always found the owners to be good people and made new friends in the process. I have always taken satisfaction in sorting out the messes left by the previous owners or years of neglect and the delight of the new owners.

Fiats have always been about fun and passion for those of modest means. I think it is for that reason they inspire such comaraderie.

Again, I will thank Mike for his praise, but I suspect he will find in not out of the ordinary here.

Steve
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back