Holley Carb - is there an advantage?

khnitz

True Classic
In looking for carb parts on my spare engine(s) for Daniel's fix-up, I noticed that one of my engines has a Holley carb on it.

Is there a performance advantage to the licensed-by-Weber Holley-Europea carb? I'm wondering if I should consider rebuilding this one, instead, and installing it on my 74 850 Spider as part of getting it running again.

Attachments

• Fiat 850 Holley Carb1.jpg
    Fiat 850 Holley Carb1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 158
  • Fiat 850 Holley Carb2.jpg
    Fiat 850 Holley Carb2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 162
  • Fiat 850 Holley Carb3.jpg
    Fiat 850 Holley Carb3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 130
I had (still have somewhere) a holly 32-36 i had in my x. Had to drill out the base of the carb a little to work but it ran great

Odie

I figure every once of power makes a difference with these vehicles, since we only have 50-ish hp, to start :)

Although there is something to be said for advantages like easier starting, idle, etc., if that is part of an advantage over the stock carb.

Is there information on the history of the Holley carb for these Fiats?

Last edited:
These were the original Pinto carb. Could be had very cheap, maybe not so now. I too am curious how they perform on an 850. Like I said, they were pretty good on an 1800 Twin Cam.

These were the original Pinto carb. Could be had very cheap, maybe not so now. I too am curious how they perform on an 850.

The Holley Europea carbs were made in Asti, Italy under license by Weber.

HEClogo.jpg

The particular carb shown by khnitz was not a Pinto carb, it was the stock carb on many pre-1970 Fiat 850 Coupes & Spiders. No performance advantage, as it's the equivalent of the stock Weber 30DIC. The 850 Sedan sometimes had a Holley Europea 30ICF in lieu of a Weber 30ICF.

Sort of along the same lines of "is there a difference" comes to mind my time as an Air Conditioning contractor. I was a "Day and Night" dealer. There was a large "Day and Night" sticker displayed on the unit. If you peeled it off there was a "Payne" sticker under it, thus changing the entire units identity. Peeling off the "Payne" sticker uncovered a "Bryant" sticker..... Some shops sold certain ones as "premium", more costly, units. Peeling off the Bryant sticker left it blank. Looking at the manufacturing ID tag it was now a "Carrier" air conditioner. I assume it's the same with carbs.....

Back