how do I?

Jim McKenzie

1972 850 Spider
Ho do I get the stock black ball 850 shifter knob off? Does it unscrew? Pop off? It appears that the knob is glued on with super-super-glue. Can't get it loose at all...

ready to hang up my junior fiat mechanic decoder pin....

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure it's threaded. M10x1.25
Maybe someone glued it to keep it from turning?

Thank you NM850, but the reason I want to remove it is that I just bought a nice wooden steering wheel and a nice wooden gear shiFt knob...BOTH with blue/gold Bertone logos, and want to do an upgrade. Very generous of you to offer though!

Last edited:
If it's really stuck on there, DON'T do what I did last year with a stuck shift knob on my X1/9, which is to twist the knob hard without gripping the shift lever tightly with a set of Vise-Grips (jaws appropriately wrapped to prevent scarring), and busting the linkage underneath the center console.

Of course you can simply saw off the lever just below the knob, since you want that shorter throw anyway, right?

Thank you NM850, but the reason I want to remove it is that I just bought a nice wooden steering wheel and a nice wooden gear **** knob...BOTH with blue/gold Bertone logos, and want to do an upgrade. Very generous of you to offer though!
I meant complete shifters if for some reason you can get the knob off but I'm sure you will prevail.
Pictures when you get them installed, please.

UPDATE: I bought a pair of strap wrenches, and the knob came off easily, without scratches or damage of any type. Thanks guys, I'm now rocking with a nice wooden Bertone badged knob from CGAUTOWOOD off evil Bay. Pic below, mines a little darker.
s-l1600.jpg

Back