How Many People Would Buy an New X1/9 WIndshield if Available?

Colltech

'85 and '83
Bernice's post on finding an X windshield got me thinking. They used to be available but apparently, no longer are. I put out some calls to past suppliers, glass manufacturers, etc. and learned that we might induce a manufacture run if we had enough volume.

Part of the reason some suppliers no longer offer them had to do with problems related to shipping. Too many windshields arrived broken!

Anyway, just a quick poll - raise your hand if you would definitely buy an new X windshield if available. I'd guess we're looking at around $500 shipped.

Ed

Cancelling this post as I JUST found a US based source for X1/9 windshields!!!

I'll start a new post shortly with info.

Ed

Well shipping is at least $165 and typically, there's a crating fee of $25 as well. The windshields cost around $315 I think. Look for my new post - coming soon.

I need one for sure. A second might be worth having, shipping would be about the same.

Bernice's post on finding an X windshield got me thinking. They used to be available but apparently, no longer are. I put out some calls to past suppliers, glass manufacturers, etc. and learned that we might induce a manufacture run if we had enough volume.

Part of the reason some suppliers no longer offer them had to do with problems related to shipping. Too many windshields arrived broken!

Anyway, just a quick poll - raise your hand if you would definitely buy an new X windshield if available. I'd guess we're looking at around $500 shipped.

Ed

PA / NJ / NY folks who need a windshield for their X1/9, call or email Bobby at BK Classic Auto Glass in Belleville, NJ (North of Newark)
As of a year ago, he had sources for aftermarket glass from China and aftermarket glass made by L-O-F (Libby-Owens-Ford) in their Mexico factory.
http://www.bkclassicautoglass.com/
973-759-1485
bk82557@aol.com

Hussein got one from them in Oct 2017: https://www.xwebforums.com/forum/in...-to-your-x1-9-today.10638/page-90#post-281275

Pilkington (took over the glass business from LOF) has a line of classic glass available to its dealer network, call 800-848-1351. One of their two main distribution centers is in Columbus, OH, so Matt at Midwest-Bayless might have a better line into what is available for the X.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, Safelite is also able to source X1/9 windshields - although I'm sure they're not up to OEM thickness/quality.

Actually, Safelite cannot supply them. I spoke with them at length yesterday and while they show "limited availability" on their website, their parts manager ended up calling me to apologetically tell me they no longer can get them.

Ed

Back