How Tiny is the X1/9 in todays World?

I daily drive the X and the only time I especially notice the size difference with modern vehicles is in the winter on the way home. The headlights from trucks are right at X 1/9 cabin level. I mean right at cabin level. Otherwise, yes other vehicles are puffed up, but I can work with that. At night with blinding glare, less so.

When the new Mini first came out, their original ad campaign was as the 'anti SUV'. Soon dropped as I guess they decided they didn't want to challenge the prevailing size anxiety after all....
Always thought that was funny, A friend of mine has a new Mini, I asked him if he was going to get the new Maxi for those days that a mini just isn't enough! He loved it but his wife tried to slap me...

This thread reminded me of a time in 1980, shortly after I had bought my '79 when I was on the way to school in Boston. It was nice day so I had the top off and had stopped at a red light behind a couple of other cars. A big semi pulled up behind me and stopped. It was a long light and I was just listening to the radio when suddenly I got bumped from the rear. I looked in the rear view mirror and all I saw was the grill of the semi. I stepped hard on the brakes but the truck kept pushing me forward. I undid my seat belt and jumped up through the open roof and waved my arms at the trucker. He looked shocked and slammed on his brakes before he pushed me into the car in front of me. The X was so small, he couldn't even see it over his hood and must have forgotten I was even there. Fortunately, his bumper had hit a trailer hitch ball that I had mounted to the rear bumper to tow my Hobie Cat, so there was no damage to the X.

Low next to just about anything :)
IMG_20140928_184918437_HDR.jpg

15032847_1444106218950198_3781646846819141259_n.jpg

I once parked my X in a mall carpark and couldn't remember where it was when returning. I looked around and saw a group of boys on the other side of a a little Hyundai staring at the ground. Ah! I thought, that's where it is!
Another time I stopped at the boom gate and waved my swipe card to raise it and drove on. Finished my day in Cardiology and drove out only to be blocked; as the boom gate out would not rise.
I hopped out and asked the gateman what was wrong with my card. In a rich Scottish accent he told me that "there's nothing wrong wi yon F^&*ng card! You just didnae stop and wait to see if the boom went up. Ye drove under the F%^&ng boom"! "How do you know"? I asked. "Cause we got It on F%^*ng video, haven't we"!

The Dangerous Rise of Supersized Pickup Trucks..

Directly related to why tires for small cars are SO difficult today.

Bernice

That’s the company I work at. Your truck size is a reflection of your value. Seriously. Us office guys drive Escapes. Joking about the pee pee.

This is why I want to install a window roll bar. Not for rolling the car, but for being rolled over!

The Dangerous Rise of Supersized Pickup Trucks..

Directly related to why tires for small cars are SO difficult today.

Bernice
Good read. Used to be large pu's were rarely seen because only utility companies and such had them. For a time I had a gig swapping out the large lead acid backup batteries in cell phone towers, driving F-250's and 350's. When driven under actual load, according to their supposed purpose, they're miserable, even dangerous to drive. Hated them.

Back