How to remove horn button w/o damage

Matt Zerega

Passion, not Practicality.
Good day, fellow Fiat enthusiasts. I know there's plenty of experience out there, far beyond my own, with these precious little Fiats.

The objective: remove the steering wheel without damaging any parts, especially the plastic horn button! The shop manual says, "pry off horn button by inserting a screwdriver between button and wheel hub"

Two things about this: 1.) prying on plastic - especially given that it's over 50 years old - is shadetree mechanic technique I try to avoid whenever possible, and 2.) gentle prying in both of the places pictured isn't yielding desired results (ejection of the horn button).

Anybody whose successfully removed a stock button themselves have a recommended technique? And, in which of the two places pictured am I supposed to be prying? (remember: the secondary objective here is to avoid breaking stuff)
FiatWheelHub.jpg

You will have to remove the ring. Usually, it snap in 3 places, accessible from behind. If you can't access behind, you will have to pry toward the inside. The horn button is the middle is free and retained by the lip of the ring. There is usually a large spring or 2 smaller ones pushing it outward.

You will have to remove the ring...snap in 3 places...If you can't access behind...pry toward the inside.

Thanks, DanielForest!

The photo is of the car; the wheel needs to come out...hence requirement to get the button removed. Tonight, I'll try to stuff a putty knife in between the plastic ring/bezel in order to push the tangs you mention towards the steering shaft (without breaking them off!). And if anyone else has additional suggestions, please keep 'em coming.

I have no longer 2 parts horn buttons to take in pics, but here is a single part one. Same principle. You can see in the first pic the horn button, upside down with the 3 tabs. Then I included some steering to show where the 3 tab are inserted. Your steering wheel may be different. You may have only 2 tabs. Different years, different models, but usually, between the Fiat models, the same principle applies.

And I realize you have no access from behind... until the steering wheel is removed. Which will need to remove the horn button to get access to the large nut... 🔧
20200518_153247.jpg

20200224_100451.jpg

Thanks Daniel. Often, just seeing what you're dealing with helps a great deal, in terms of deciding how hard to push, and where :)

Here's what worked for me, as per your guidance: tucked Popsicle sticks under the trim ring and pried upwards at each place around the ring where I could feel the three (in this case) plastic tangs. I left the sticks under the ring - maintaining upward pressure - while I pushed gently inward on the tangs (I can see now that pushing inward was making my life more difficult, not easier! Pushing inward actually engages the tangs!). I worked my way around, stacking sticks to take up the slack as it formed. And eventually, "Pop!", the ring came off with the button. Nothing broke or scratched. Mission accomplished. Thanks again. Much appreciated.
sticks.jpg

bezel.jpg

Back