How to remove trim?

carl

True Classic
How do you remove the stainless steel trim around the windshield without destroying it?
Also, how do you remove the stainless steel trim on the edge of the rear sail panels and targa? I want to pull them off the Bertone as I need them for the flared X which is missing both.

The windshield trim is typically glued down with the same adhesive holding the windshield in. I believe I have read of people working a wire under the trim and working it around under the perimeter. It probably takes a lot of patience and maybe some heat to soften it up? I have never tried it.

The sail trim on the targa is pressed on to a pinch seam on the rear of the sail. No glue involved. I start at one tip near the rear trunk lid and pry up gently till it moves. Then it is just a matter of slowly working up towards the middle. Stop there and go to the other tip and repeat the process up to the middle. Be careful as there is a black plastic liner of sorts at the tips of the two legs. It is thin and somewhat brittle.

Funny story: I just went thru this procedure last summer with my 85. I took the sail trim off prior to sending it to paint, when it came back I put the wrong sail trim back on. :( I didn't even realize I had another set of it around. While I was reinstalling it I kept thinking "This doesn't look as shiny as before." I figured it was the contrast with the shiny new paint. Nope. :mad: A couple days later I found the 85's trim. I did not switch it out, but I will.... someday. :oops:

I think the extra trim set came from a 77 I parted out back in 2004 or so.

Following Jim's advice for the sail trim, one method to pry it up that I've done on other vehicles. Use a small block of wood against the back edge of it and tap on the block with a small mallet, gentilly working it off the pinch-weld as he described.

Carl,

You could practice on your white car. I guess it will not bother you if you scratch the windshield surround on that car... :rolleyes:

Jim tip is the official one. Heat the trim and pull a wire all underneath it. Other method includes carefull prying. But softening it before always help. Since it's below 40 in my place this week, I wouldn't try it out now.

The windshield trim is a complete PITA. Gonna be worse if someone has already removed & reinstalled it. The parts car I got had about 32oz of silicone spooged all over. I tried to remove the trim as it waa actually in good shape. Ended up throwing it away.

For the sail trim, I used a flat paint stirrer (Home Depot, etc) to lay on the body work, then use a 5-in-1 tool to lever the metal off the plastic liner (starting at the back, working forward & up), then pull the liner off. Mine has the black plastic coating, and I got it off without marring the coat. Screwdriver is NOT good as load is too localized, and putty knife will flex too much, IMO. As mentioned be very careful with the end tips, very easy to loose them! Careful with the center junction cap also.

Last edited:
Another thought on the windshield trim.....I have removed several with a sharp putty knife. Lay the blade as flat as possible, facing directly into the trim, from the center of the windshield. Carefully push the blade under the trim. You may have to tap the putty knife handle with a dead blow hammer carefully. A bit of patience & care should get it off intact (That's why careful is the word). Mat at MWB had told me about care, as you can deform the trim if care is not exercised, and if that happens, it can be difficult to get it to lay down properly again later.

Another thought on the targa sail trim....Use those plastic trim tools from Harbor Freight or a plastic glass installation tool. They will be lass likely to mar the paint or damage the plastic underneath the stainless trim.

Back