How to take crankshaft’s pulley off?

Janis

True Classic
image.jpg
How can I take off nut from crankshaft’s pulley, when engine is out of the car?
If that matters- Punto 1.6 engine.

If can’t, is that possible in X19 engine bay to do it?

Have to do that to install belts.

Also should Punto 1.6 engine be interference? :/

One more also- where can I find timing marks for camshaft- cant see on any of those plastic shields. *edit Found info on fiat forum of setting timing belt https://www.fiatforum.com/punto/444990-1-6-timing-marks.html

Last edited:
I believe removing the crank pulley should only require removal of the center bolt then pull the pulley straight off. You might need an impact gun to get the bolt off, and/or a puller to get the pulley off, if either are stuck from rust. If no impact gun is available, try locking the flywheel by making a small bracket to wedge between the ring-gear teeth or clutch bolts and the block (see images below), then use a long bar on the socket or wrench for the bolt. The puller is a standard 2 or 3 jaw "screw" drive type.

Are you switching pulleys between the engines, or just need to remove it to get the belt on the same engine? I'm guessing it is the first of those, but if its the second, then it would be easier to remove the idler pulley.

As I understand, the 1300 engine is interference, the 1500 is not, and I don't know about the 1600...sorry.

To hold the crankshaft from turning, lock the flywheel in place with something like:
pic 036ws.jpg Strawberries 0011075671989.jpg MVC-021F.JPG images.jpg 31823036984_a3f04d9e9f_b.jpg 1907.jpg

To pull the pulley use a puller like:
removing pulley resized.JPG 11p_puller2.JPG 0000053_3-jaw-supercharger-pulley-puller_300.jpg Crank pulley puller (1).JPG

CAUTION: this can make a lot of force that can break teeth off the flywheel, bend or break the pulley, or injure you. Of those three only the flywheel and pulley won't heal themselves. :)

Thanks Jeff for ideas, I would really like to do thus outside of engine bay.
Will really impact gun do the job without blocking flywheel?

Ulix,I’ll correct myself, to take off pulley for alternator belt, that is driven by crankshaft.
You can see in video that it isn’t possible if pulley is still on, even not possible to take belt off from engine.

image.jpg Perfect, nut is off, without blocking flywheel, just switched in some gear

Pulley came of easily..

Last edited:
As you found, a impact wrench does wonders...without the need to block things. Nice Makita gun. Its much easier to do outside of the engine bay. 'Almost' to the point I'd rather remove the engine just to do it.

My '79 X with factory AC and full California smog spec equipment required removal of the water pump pulley to remove/install the V-belt. And removal of many other components to change both belts without suffering damage to the paint, yourself, and the components. It also required the complete removal of the AC compressor and it's mount to change the water pump. I know, hard to believe, but true. I modified things extensively to enable belt changes without all this, but it took countless attempts with multiple modifications (some rather extensive) to get there. Something Fiat could have easily done if they tried before going to production.

Back