How to test KYB strut out of the car?

Eric at KSport was very helpful. And yes, they can provide a kit. However, the spring rates (280 and 403) seem to me quite high for road use. Anyone has direct experience with those? Or do you know someone who does have direct experience?

I am in conversation with him. What year is your X? He want to make sure 1980 and 1982 have the same suspension.

My X is a '74. Because the lower mount has infinite adjustability they should fit any year. Mine fit fine, but because of the K20 swap the rear suspension is from a 5 speed car, which should be the same as your '80. Awhile back a forum member did an Ecotec swap on a '79 and used the Ksport kit with no issues too.

Eric at KSport was very helpful. And yes, they can provide a kit. However, the spring rates (280 and 403) seem to me quite high for road use. Anyone has direct experience with those? Or do you know someone who does have direct experience?

On mine, the 280 front will work, but I plan to go with 300 in the rear which is what Matt at MWB recommends on the K20 swap. Not sure how 400 would work, but if you try it make sure you have a front anti-roll bar installed as you might be swapping ends when you least expect it.

As has been discussed already, depending on the build and intended use - stock engine vs race engine vs a complete engine swap, stock suspension (e.g. rubber bushes and no anti-roll bars) vs race setup, daily driver vs high performance track day car, fully equipped vs stripped, etc - the condition of the local roads and your preference for the ride quality, the desired spring rates will vary a lot. But one thought might be to install the provided front springs (280 lb) on the rear and buy new springs (around 200 lb) for the fronts. Coilover springs are petty universal and replacements are available from several sources. Prices vary a lot and can start as low as $40 a pair to several hundred a pair. So account for this in the price of your decision.

Go through the US distributor, not the parent company in Germany. I just picked up a set a couple of months ago. The cost was $1,345 plus about $50 for shipping. Bjorn is correct, the spring rates are what they are, but springs from all the usual sources are easy to find and not very expensive.

Have you driven your car with the K Sport set? I would appreciate your feedback since the spring rates indicated by Eric at K Sport - Front 5 kg (280 lb), Rear 7.2 kg (403 lb) - seem quite high for street use.

As has been discussed already, depending on the build and intended use - stock engine vs race engine vs a complete engine swap, stock suspension (e.g. rubber bushes and no anti-roll bars) vs race setup, daily driver vs high performance track day car, fully equipped vs stripped, etc - the condition of the local roads and your preference for the ride quality, the desired spring rates will vary a lot. But one thought might be to install the provided front springs (280 lb) on the rear and buy new springs (around 200 lb) for the fronts. Coilover springs are petty universal and replacements are available from several sources. Prices vary a lot and can start as low as $40 a pair to several hundred a pair. So account for this in the price of your decision.
Makes sense. Thx

Have you driven your car with the K Sport set? I would appreciate your feedback since the spring rates indicated by Eric at K Sport - Front 5 kg (280 lb), Rear 7.2 kg (403 lb) - seem quite high for street use.

Not yet but for a K20 swap the 280/300 rate with a front anti-roll bar should be close so I will change out the supplied rear springs. The higher rear rate for the swap is to counteract "squat and wag" on hard acceleration, but on a stock car it's usually better to have higher rate in the front. All set-ups involve a bit of trial and error but the springs are nothing special and are available from QA1, AFCO, etc. and are very inexpensive. Everyone that has ever fooled with coilovers on any application can attest to having amassed a pretty good assortment of springs too, it just comes with the territory. Think of them as you would a new Weber. Will it bolt on out of the box? Sure. Will you need an assortment of jets and air correctors to get it dialed in? Absolutely.

If you would like to compare pricing on D2 Street coilovers kit the article number is DI-FI-03. In Sweden it costs 1900 USD so probably more expensive than K-sport also in the US. However, with D2 you can have the spring rate by your choice.

Regarding the mention of having higher spring rates on the front than the rear. I asked about this previously and got the response that it depends on the use; a race car with no front anti-roll bar will benefit from higher rates in the front (this is typically with springs in the 400-600 pound range), but a street car (especially with a front anti-roll bar) will benefit more from lower rates in the front - like the stock setup uses. However that is my understanding from the responses received. If anyone has more info on this please add it.

I have researched the availability of adjustable coilovers fairly well. The latest quote from KSport (USA) came to $1,500 (+ 158 tax) for Ksport Kontrol Pro Damper System. Included: double height adjustment, 280 lb front and 403 lb rear springs, single adjustable dampers (rebound), top camber adjuster plate. Shown on the German website:

At Vick Auto, a similar set up with Koni single adjustable and a choice of spring rates, camber bolt (no camber plate) is listed at $1,300. IMO, the lower priced Vick Auto is preferable because you can choose your prefered springs. If anyone has tried the Vick product, I would appreciate your comments.

I have researched the availability of adjustable coilovers fairly well. The latest quote from KSport (USA) came to $1,500 (+ 158 tax) for Ksport Kontrol Pro Damper System. Included: double height adjustment, 280 lb front and 403 lb rear springs, single adjustable dampers (rebound), top camber adjuster plate. Shown on the German website:

At Vick Auto, a similar set up with Koni single adjustable and a choice of spring rates, camber bolt (no camber plate) is listed at $1,300. IMO, the lower priced Vick Auto is preferable because you can choose your prefered springs. If anyone has tried the Vick product, I would appreciate your comments.
I don't recall, did you get a quote for the D2 coilovers from the US supplier?

It took a while, but I have finally settled on a set of Coilovers following advice from Guy Moerenhout, founder of Abarth Works Museum, in Lier, Belgium, probably the largest Fiat and Abarth collection in the world. See my photo album below*. Guy is also an active historic rally driver and ex-Abarth factory driver. His comment: In cooperation with AVO I have made a set... AVO works super.

I contacted AVO in the UK. They produce this coilover set for the Fiat X1/9.
http://www.avouk.com/Products_GTZ_KITS.htm, GTZ220/221:
- Rebound adjustable shock
- No camber adjustment
- Top collet doesn’t have a bearing , the original Fiat bearing sits on top of that with the original top mount assembly.
- No bumpstops.
- Different spring rates available. No extra cost.

Based on several quotes received, including shipping to Canada, I have ordered a set with 175 / 225 lb springs from DC Performance in the UK. Price £ 650 + £ 150 for shipping to Canada = £ 780 (approx. $1,100 US)

Will report once the coilovers are installed and tested.

*My photo album, Abarth Works Museum, Lier, Belgium

Camber bolts may do the trick? If not, the upper hole could be machined to make it an oval.
Yes. In fact some coilovers come with slotted lower mounting holes and/or camber bolts.

You can also add a "thrust bearing" in between the spring and the spring perch. That's how most coilovers do it.

I'll have to take a closer look at them when I have more time. I'm curious how they retain the stock upper mount. Do you have any specs on how much travel they offer?

Yes. In fact some coilovers come with slotted lower mounting holes and/or camber bolts.

You can also add a "thrust bearing" in between the spring and the spring perch. That's how most coilovers do it.

I'll have to take a closer look at them when I have more time. I'm curious how they retain the stock upper mount. Do you have any specs on how much travel they offer?
I'm intend to use a thrust bearing. No specs on travel but will provide when I receive them.

Back