how to unplug the drains on the side of the engine compartment

austinx19bill

Daily Driver
Hi all.

I have an '82 X1/9 with a plugged drain hole in the right/passenger side of the engine compartment.

The left side drains fine, but the right seems completely plugged: the clear plastic drain hose below it is completely dry.

I tried a variety of different rods to push thru it from above, but either the drain has a sharp turn in it or is so plugged I cannot penetrate it.

Has anyone else had this problem and managed to clear the drain hole? Do I need to attack it from below?

I would remove the electronic ignition box first. It can be a bit fussy.

Then clean out everything from above, using copious amounts of water and a wet vac to clean the area out. Using a plastic rod push up from below. I use my pressure washer to shift any detritus around.

It is a pain and one of the stupidest bits of design in the car, why not just make a large opening that dumps water down the side of the compartment and why is the electronic ignition box in what will be a puddle.

Trying to remember how to get the hose off the pod. My memory is foggy, but maybe if you remove the passenger side scoop you can reach in from there to get at the clamp?

I use compressed air with a piece of hard brake line on the air gun to reach down in to the hose and blast away, usually clears it right out but expect to wear some of the grunge...

Hi all.

I have an '82 X1/9 with a plugged drain hole in the right/passenger side of the engine compartment.

The left side drains fine, but the right seems completely plugged: the clear plastic drain hose below it is completely dry.

I tried a variety of different rods to push thru it from above, but either the drain has a sharp turn in it or is so plugged I cannot penetrate it.

Has anyone else had this problem and managed to clear the drain hole? Do I need to attack it from below?

Find the bottom opening of the clear drain hose and shove some stiff wire up it, or hit it with a shot of compressed air. On my '86 straight-on access to the clear hose outlet is somewhat blocked by the undercar filler panels/belt guard, so you might have to loosen or take something off to get at it.

It is a pain and one of the stupidest bits of design in the car, why not just make a large opening that dumps water down the side of the compartment and why is the electronic ignition box in what will be a puddle.

that compartment has those drain hoses to keep the water from puddling where the frame rail meets the body below, and causing rust...I know this because my car was an "outside dog" for a long time, without the hoses, and now has corrosion on top there where that spot held water...so it was one bad design to fix another, lol...needs a drain there also

Back