how tough is the 1500?

wannabfast

Thai with a 78 in MN
like hypothetically, it overheated to the point where it blew the headgasket and cracked the head.. anything i should look for in the bottom end?

Hypothetically???

I dunno... stare at the sky I guess... but if this really happened... I would look for any leaks or cracks in the cylinder walls... and if you shut the engine down close to when it happened, I doubt if there was any other bearing damage or anything else for that matter.

Thoroughly clean the block by using thinner and drain the oil too.

I would replace the t-stat also as even if it was theoretically good, it was probably kinda "stressed". I assume you'll be replacing the head... insuring the block surface is true, and using a good OE or aftermarket head gasket. Do ensure the torque sequence is followed also.

AFAIK... I've not heard of anyone suffering any other damage from such a failure. Usually, finding the cause of the overheating and replacing the head gasket fixes the problem.

Good luck... keep us posted.

In reality if that happened if you not like to opened down to look bearings on crank only change oil ,oil filter and put new head and fire engine will be gave answer . I never find cracked block from heating only head gasket go out in 1100 engine I never find broken heads on 1,3 yes but block never I have few time on race -hill climb not stopped and pushed to the end only pistons dead , head gasket blew, head deformed ....but block never fiat SOHC block is very strong

+1 to Tony's remarks. Although I didn't crack the head, I did over heat mine to 240 degrees according to the gauge a many years back. I stupidly didn't notice it on a series of back to back to back slalom runs until it was well over 230. After it cooled down I restarted and it ran and sounded fine until it hit 210 at which point I knew there was an air pocket. Mine routinely runs at 175 BTW.

Anyways, bled the system, torqued the head and it ran like a champ for another 2 years after that.

well i dont know the specifics.. its an engine i got from teh junkyard so i dont really know what happened.. but i took the head off just to check and the headgasket was blown, cylinders washed, and i noticed the crack after i started cleaning it

OK... Since we are now dealing with...

... and engine out of the car, the UNKNOWN, and nothing hypothetically... it would then behove you to do a complete overhaul while you have it on the "proverbial" table.

MOST LIKELY... this engine suffered a blown head gasket/cracked head and it was these things that caused it to end up at the wreckers. MOST LIKELY these things will be the only seriously bad things you'll find... but it would not be the wise-est thing to simply disregard everything else when its pennies-on-the-dollar now to do a complete refresh... and KNOW what is going on and what possibly went on with this engine.

If this was your car and the mill was still in the bay... I would do as Bernice did with her (24 Hours of LeMons) race car and continue to drive the snot out of it!

i gotta figure out which ports i can plug.. this 1500 has a bunch of stuff my 1300 doesnt have

Back