Huge vacuum leak from unfamiliar part of carb

Tom Ginefra

True Classic
Suddenly I have an extremely loud vacuum leak from this port on the rear of my 28/30 DHTA. I can't recall what may have filled this opening previously. I can find no diagrams of this side of the carb that identifies what this hole is for. Can someone please give me a clue. I've traced all the obvious vacuum lines and they're all accounted for. Is there some king of a plug or screw that's supposed to go in here? Someone please help. (Its the one that's raised slightly off the base immediately to the left of the black shadow in the photo below)
20190523_145124.jpg

On my DGV, that port holds the secondary jet.
Mine vibrated out. (primary though)
It would still run, better if I put my finger over the hole.

Sorry guys! I'm an idiot! I just looked back over some photos from the last time I removed the carb. There's a small vacuum line that runs from a nipple, (that press fits into this port) which connects to the smallest of three pipes exiting the underside of the air cleaner. I took everything apart when I refurbished the air cleaner assembly and must have misplaced that hose. The nipple must have vibrated loose form the port and disappeared. I'll have to find a suitable replacement. Thanks for the assistance. I feel like a fool.

To replace the missing nipple, tap the hole with a NPT (pipe thread) tap. Then you use a screw-in fitting (common hose barb), that will never fall out.

And while you are at it. think about doing that same upgrade to the two fuel lines, when they pop out you spray everything with fuel, and things catch on fire.

Thanks Rod and Jeff. Both good ideas...until I de-smog it and elevate this DHTA to it's proper place in the world, as a paperweight.

Looks like you found the connection: to the snorkle on the air cleaner. Nothing wrong with the DHTA if you just enjoy the car. I have been running this carb for 30 + years and it is dependable and fine.

Larry, I've had a few setbacks trying to get mine sorted. And with limited funds and limited time to work on the car, lately I've been getting frustrated. Looks like I'm going to have to pull the carb "again" and do a more thorough cleaning. The only difference between how "our" cars are equipped is yours has AC. Perhaps when mine looks and runs as nice as your does, I'll be a little less grumpy. :) BTW since I saw the first picture of your car, I've held the "Crab" up as the standard to which I hope mine will be one day. Little by little, I'll get there eventually. I've been working on her for almost a year now, and I'm anxious to take her out for more than a ride around the block.

Back