I (almost) have a new car!

Discussion in 'Workshop Forum' started by Fred Cantin, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Fred Cantin

Fred Cantin Daily Driver

Hi all,

I came across those strut braces (I and II) while browsing the web, searching for parts for my X1/9.

I first emailed Henk (the store's owner) to be sure that, once in place, the front brace doesn't interfere with the storage of the targa top; once it assured me that it wasn't the case, I've ordered both braces.

They arrived about a week later, the installation was a breeze, they bolted right in place on my '81 X (and yes, the top still fits nicely in the front trunk).

Man, what a difference those braces make! The car is WAY more stiff, the handling is really improved. There's less chassis flex, especially during cornering. The ride is still comfortable. It's almost like I got a new car :cool:.

I think it's the best 400 CAD that I spent on the car so far.

I'm not affiliated or any way associated with X1/9 Parts Holland, I just wanted to let you know that thoses braces did the job for me :).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

myronx19, mkmini, 81x and 6 others like this.
  2. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

Fred, by chance is there any way to help quantify the difference they made (timed laps, cornering G's, slalom course, etc), maybe from a cell phone app or such?

3. Fred Cantin

Fred Cantin Daily Driver

@Dr.Jeff : I'm sorry, but I don't race or autocross ...

4. ecohen2

ecohen2 True Classic

I installed the front brace and noticed that it made a huge improvement. Unfortunately my rear coil-overs don't have enough thread at the top to accommodate the rear brace :(. I also like the way it changed the handling... Definitely for the better!

5. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

Thanks Fred, I don't race either and I'm not sure just how I would try to quantify a change like that. But wanted to ask just in case you had more input. Seems I've read so many opposing views on things like sway bars, strut braces, poly bushings, etc, for these cars. Glad to hear you like the change. :) Thanks, Jeff

6. ricar

ricar Daily Driver

I would expect the rear to have pretty minimal effect. I may be wrong, I base my expectations on the rear of the car being quite stiff already with the engine bay being pretty much between the towers. The front I would expect to make the bulk of that noticable difference. Nice to see the review, this is in my car's future!

7. jsadamski

jsadamski True Classic

Ok so I’ll ask the dumb question . Does it interfere with the roof being placed up front ?

8. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

;)

jsadamski likes this.
  9. carl

carl True Classic

One test is to leave the mounting nuts a little loose and see if the paint is scratched or the mounting holes show signs of the bar moving as the chassis flexes and thus the mount rings are moving a bit back and forth.