"I bought a sweet Mazda Miata a few weeks ago and now have a nice combination car."

Curious that the ground electrode that failed in the Miata was also made by Bosch...

I'm not a fan of platinum plugs and Bosch plugs in general. For a time Denso plugs were preferred for the Fiat and stock NGK-R plugs for the SAAB.

When the ground electrode fails, the coil will try to compensate by significantly increasing the voltage required to jump that far over sized gap. This increases the internal stress on the HV insulation exponentially.. One small pin hole caused by the excessive HV on the winding insulations leads to rapid and destructive failure of the HV coil.

The real question is, what happened to the four ground electrodes that are no longer attached to the spark plug? Odds are there will be internal damage to the cylinder head and piston.. like this (screw head fell into a cylinder):
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_arti...rankenmiata--failure-is-always-an-option.aspx

Cats don't last forever, they have a finite life. If the ignition fails, un burned fuel/air mixture dumped into the hot cat will melt the cellular structure inside the cat causing it to melt internally and fail.

Tomorrow, the cylinder head is coming off the Miata and I'll post more about the findings later.

BTW, SAAB owns the patent on the DI cassette which puts a coil on each cylinder along with the control electronics. This is why other car brands can only put the coil on each cylinder, not the entire package.

Bernice

Bernice, I recently had something similar happen with my BMW. I'm still having issues with the car - now I believe it's the cats that need to be replaced but my attention to this came in most unfortunate timing.

Which one of these things doesn't belong?

One of these USED to be a Bosch Platinum 4...

...which destroyed the ignition coil

It's a long, long story but I was fortunate enough to break down TWICE in the same location near Tony Natoli's place in Santa Clarita - once coming south, and the other going north on the 5 freeway.

The car has 217k on it and after the cats get replaced, I'm hoping to take it up to 500k. The problem with my meltdown (also in the #2 chamber) also lead to completely losing the threads in the head so the new spark plug is being held in place with an aluminum insert and Loctite....

Cylinder head off engine. The damage from that spark plug electrode needs to be seen to be believed.

The pistons look like they have been sand blasted and the cylinder head is now scrap aluminum.

More Miata weirdness discovered. What I will say, the Miata is a highly engineered car for it's intended market. Virtually no engineering/design stone un-turned for production viability and cost.

Need an new image hosting service to share the images.

Bernice

Bernice, an opinion please.

I'm searching for a useable next generation classic and have run across the Lexus SC300 from the early 90s. Do you know anything about them?

Back