Nice improvisation. The thing I like about the head bolts requiring angle-torque procedure is that there is no math involved -just mark the bolt head & head. Doesn't matter if the tool alters the applied torque. Also you're not loosening the bolt which always feels iffy to me, even though it's unlikely coolant, etc., will pass from just one bolt loose.

I'm posting this from my not-so-smart phone since I'm currently lacking a computer. Therefore there'll probably typos/rotated pictures/who know what. Bear with me haha!

I decided it was time to address the electrics. Everything was functional, but in typical X1/9 fashion, the power windows were slow, the wipers were really slow (barely moved unless they were lubricated with rain), and the headlights were weak. Don't even think about having them all on at the same time.

So I designed a secondary relay/fuse box to put in the frunk which incorporated all of the popular X1/9 electrics mods plus a few more I haven't seen. Specifically:

-Brown Wire Mod
-Wiper relay mod
-Power Window Relay mod
-Low Beam headlight relay mod
-Ignition switch starter solenoid relay mod
-Tail lights/running lights/marker lights relay mod

. . .All contained in one small box in the frunk.

Here are the schematics. Some of the notation will probably only make sense to me because I used my own wire numbers.

View attachment 21528

Pictures of the box prior to being installed in the car:

View attachment 21529

View attachment 21530

Pictures of the box after being installed in the frunk.

View attachment 21531

View attachment 21532

I still need to work on the cable management a bit and figure out a way to secure the box to the floor of the frunk.

I also designed it to be completely reversible. I didn't cut any original wiring. I purchased/reused connectors that mated to the original wiring harnesses at all of the hookup points. If you wanted to, you could easily remove the mod and return it to stock. Not sure why you would want to though.

Picture of the wiper motor harness hookup:

View attachment 21534

I didn't grab pictures of the other hookup points, but you get the idea.

And the best part...

Everything running at once. Lights are bright! Wipers are fast! Power windows are snappy! All at the same time!
Hello I am trying To duplicate your work exactly starting with the power window relay. I am having trouble locating where you connected to the existing wiring. I don’t want to cut into it and would much rather do what you did. My car is an ‘81 that originally didn’t come with power windows but was outfit with the wiring to connect them. I bought all of the same exact materials you did so if you could share the connection points for all of the mods that would be a huge help.

Hello I am trying To duplicate your work exactly starting with the power window relay. I am having trouble locating where you connected to the existing wiring. I don’t want to cut into it and would much rather do what you did. My car is an ‘81 that originally didn’t come with power windows but was outfit with the wiring to connect them. I bought all of the same exact materials you did so if you could share the connection points for all of the mods that would be a huge help.
Hey, I just saw this and your PM. I'm not as active on here with updates as I used to be so sorry for the delay. To answer your question, if you are willing to splice into the original harnesses, then that will be easier. If I did this again I would probably add intermediate connectors to the original harnesses and use those as hookup points that could still be easily reversed. Anyhow,

-The windshield wiper relay circuit is patched into the wiper motor connector in the cowl. (I bought a pigtail connector pair from MWB for this) I think I actually showed an image of this one. All hookups are done like this.

-The start switch relay circuit is patched into the 4-pin start switch connector under the dash - Also bought a pigtail pair from MWB.

-The power window relay circuit it patched in at the power window motor connectors in the doors (also with a pigtail pair). This meant I had to run 4 more wires through the stuffing tube in the door hinge area. If this ever fails, I'm going to relocate the hookup point to in the body by adding an intermediate disconnect to stock harness. Alternatively you could hookup to pins I and V on the power window switches, but that's a more complicated connector to replicate.

-For the Headlights I hooked into the high beam switch connector with a pigtail pair. If you have an '81 then you probably don't have a High Beam relay (the later Bertone's came with them), so I would recommend adding another relay circuit for the high beam on the same connector. If you bought the same box I did, then there is space for one more relay.

-For the TailLights/Marker Lights, I patched into the headlight switch connector. with a female pigtail and then I had to get a little creative with the male side. I kept the Headlights and tailights/marker lights on separate circuits because combined they would have put too much load on one 40amp automotive relay.

If you don't have the X1/9 wiring manual (there's a free download around here somewhere), I highly suggest you get it and study the diagrams - it'll make more sense.

Aarpcard. Thanks for this detail. Gives much needed clarity. Also I like your Handel. I just figured it out AARP Card. Funny.

Back