I don't want to be a "?" anymore

carl

True Classic
While most folks might say a "?" is spot on for me as an avatar, I'd like something else. Soooo, can someone here or in a private message tell me how to post a picture there.

Hi ?,

Look in the upper right corner of the page. You will see a little one line menu that says "carl Inbox Admin". Hover your mouse over "carl". A menu will pop up. In the left column of the menu, 7th item down is "Avatar". Click on "Avatar and you will be presented with an option to upload a small picture to replace your "?". You basically need to decide what picture you want to use, then use a photo editor to get it down to the 200x200 pixel size. Let me know if you need assistance on that.

I don't know. I just see it gives a size recommendation.

OK. Mkmini is correct. It does edit the photo down for you. I selected a huge picture size around 3000x3000 and it shrunk it and let me move it around a bit to get it centered. Nice. I don't recall if I did that before or not. I have a few avatar sized photos already and I just chose one.

Thanks Mk, good to know.

Almost, I tried to click and drag a photo from my PC photos and nothing happened. Tried the same procedure I normally use to post pictures here. Hey, if nothing else I got Todd taken care of.

carl,

You have to be precise with your drag and drop. Looks like you have to drag till your cursor is in the "Choose File" box. Of course, you could just click "Choose File" and you know.... choose a file. That would work too.

Could you also "cut and paste" it into the box? (I don't remember how I did it).

But I do remember that some sizes of photos did not work well. Actually I should say some "shapes" of photos; it automatically cropped them leaving large side or top/bottom borders (not sure what that's called...like watching a non-high def movie on a high def screen format, you get those gray margins). Or it just cut off sections (margins) to make it fit, losing part of the image.

Could you also "cut and paste" it into the box? (I don't remember how I did it).

But I do remember that some sizes of photos did not work well. Actually I should say some "shapes" of photos; it automatically cropped them leaving large side or top/bottom borders (not sure what that's called...like watching a non-high def movie on a high def screen format, you get those gray margins). Or it just cut off sections (margins) to make it fit, losing part of the image.

It allows you to center the image side to side once it is resized, but I don't think there is any up/down adjustment. Maybe the directional movement depends on the shape of your picture, but I only achieved side to side adjustment in my brief testing earlier.

No matter what I do, dragging a pic won't stay. That's probably why I'm known as ?
Thanks fellas, you all tried, even with a cool video.

?

No matter what I do, dragging a pic won't stay. That's probably why I'm known as ?
Thanks fellas, you all tried, even with a cool video.

?
Did you try the "Choose a file" button? Would you try only one way to make a 34 carb idle with a 40/80 cam on a 1500???? NO!!! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??? Hell No!!!

Carl, I just changed my avatar to see difficulty level-
MkMini shows it well-
after picking a photo, I moved a copy to the desktop, and browsed there for the file name after opening my profile page and clicking on the avatar; the image I used was 4032 x 3024, it resized automatically.

Dead easy, and I'm 62.
It would NOT click and drag.

It's words like browsing, file name, choosing a file that get me all tripped up. I'm tactile/mechanical oriented. I'll have my cam swapped out before getting an avatar....maybe I'll watch the movie.

Back