I have joined the X1/9 party!

So on my ‘74, there’s no access panel? How long would an unfamiliar tech need then to change an alternator on one of these - I’ve read some posts saying up to FIVE hours? Would you recommend alternators other than Bosch & Marelli?
Hey...

If you take the time to MAKE an access panel, it will take less time than changing out the alternator without one!

The easiest method would be to get an original panel off a '79 or later model X, trace the panel and cut. You can then simply affix the old panel in place with sheet metal screws.

OR...

Carefully cut out the area and until you have access... then make a cover out of sheet metal and affix.

Here are a few fotos showing just how much this really helps!

Rear Access Panel.jpg
Rear Access Panel Removed 1.jpg
Rear Access Panel Removed.jpg

As for the Marelli or Bosch alternators... plus you have an external Voltage Regulator... I say neither and upgrade to a simple GM 55 amp alternator... ditching the VR as well.

The OEM's are "delicate" and expensive... whereas a GM from Auto Zone (was) $45 bucks, with a lifetime warranty. There is a link on this site as to how to do the mod.

PM me for more details if needed.

Enjoy this task!

Hey...

If you take the time to MAKE an access panel, it will take less time than changing out the alternator without one!

The easiest method would be to get an original panel off a '79 or later model X, trace the panel and cut. You can then simply affix the old panel in place with sheet metal screws.

OR...

Carefully cut out the area and until you have access... then make a cover out of sheet metal and affix.

Here are a few fotos showing just how much this really helps!

View attachment 46959View attachment 46960View attachment 46961

As for the Marelli or Bosch alternators... plus you have an external Voltage Regulator... I say neither and upgrade to a simple GM 55 amp alternator... ditching the VR as well.

The OEM's are "delicate" and expensive... whereas a GM from Auto Zone (was) $45 bucks, with a lifetime warranty. There is a link on this site as to how to do the mod.

PM me for more details if needed.

Enjoy this task!
Thanks - stay tuned :) I’m concerned about alternators with internal voltage regulators, being so close to a heat source and all...

Last edited:
Thanks - stay tuned :) I’m concerned about alternators with internal voltage regulators, being so close to a heat source and all...

OK... I'll admit it... I have had absolutely NO problem with mine for over 15 or 20 years... until this happened:

IMG_4576.JPG
IMG_4574.jpg
IMG_4579 (1).jpg

BTW... these things can really BOUNCE down the road! Kinda cool watching cars avoid them in BOTH directions.

I picked it up, pushed it back together and took it back to AZ for another. I didn't have a receipt but they ID'd it as one of theirs and gave me another.

I "guess" the heat musta loosened the four long housing bolts that kept the two halves together.

Maybe I should re-torque them every 5000 miles... WHATDAYATHINK?

Other than this minor incident... its has been flawless and robust.

HTH's!

OK... I'll admit it... I have had absolutely NO problem with mine for over 15 or 20 years... until this happened:

View attachment 46962View attachment 46963View attachment 46964

BTW... these things can really BOUNCE down the road! Kinda cool watching cars avoid them in BOTH directions.

I picked it up, pushed it back together and took it back to AZ for another. I didn't have a receipt but they ID'd it as one of theirs and gave me another.

I "guess" the heat musta loosened the four long housing bolts that kept the two halves together.

Maybe I should re-torque them every 5000 miles... WHATDAYATHINK?

Other than this minor incident... its has been flawless and robust.

HTH's!
Seriously? It just popped off? yikes.

Interesting anti-tail-gaiting method... Almost as good as those service trucks you see with a vice mounted to the rear bumper. The real anti-tailgaiting trick is to weld a big old pipe wrench to the rear bumper platform. When you drive by it looks like it's just riding there waiting to bounce off and into the car behind. In reality it's just an old wrench welded down... 🤣

Back