I have spies everywhere - X spotted in LA traffic - Hey Jose!!

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
So one of my spotters sent in this picture from a couple days ago.
Margaret sees X in LA traffic.jpg

A white 87 X with luggage rack in LA traffic. I think this is Jose (addictedpunk) X... maybe? So Jose? Is that your X with you in it? :)

My sister was heading to the airport to come home this weekend. I guess she saw you Friday afternoon. Thanks for confirming Jose. She didn't believe I could find out who was driving that X. Xweb is all powerful! :)

That’s so cool! I was heading home after doing some last minute shopping before my flight to Seattle.

I gotta say, those LED lights sure are bright.

Jim, I bet your sister won't believe that you could identify the owner of a random X in LA traffic where she just happened to be driving while on a trip. Too funny.

If you look at that picture and consider the LA traffic (Jose says that is a freeway), running the AC with the hot summer temps and nothing but stop and go activity. It isn't difficult to understand why some X owners experience cooling issues while others (say in snow country on wide open roads that flow at 50-60 MPH) don't. As with most things in life, circumstances change everything.

Jim, I bet your sister won't believe that you could identify the owner of a random X in LA traffic where she just happened to be driving while on a trip. Too funny.

If you look at that picture and consider the LA traffic (Jose says that is a freeway), running the AC with the hot summer temps and nothing but stop and go activity. It isn't difficult to understand why some X owners experience cooling issues while others (say in snow country on wide open roads that flow at 50-60 MPH) don't. As with most things in life, circumstances change everything.

I think this picture sums up what LA has become. Have to travel more than a mile in any direction? Plan to leave an hour ahead; two hours max.

This city has become unfriendly to my car. Look at the size difference. I have what looks like a Honda Civic infront of me, which is considered a compact, and it still looks giant infront of the X. I took to driving with a dash cam on. And since the car is so small, I guess that gives people the incentive to tailgate? I don’t get it.

And don’t get me started on parking lot etiquete. I park a good distance from any car and somehow I still have the giant SUV parking next to me so close that I feel like it’s gonna mount my car. I think it might be time to get another car as my daily driver and leave the X in the garage for playtime. I hate to do it, but I would hate even more walking to my car on a Target run and arriving to a dent or something even worse. I haven’t even told you guys about the time I left my car infront of the house for two minutes and came back to a mangled fender because it looks like some truck backed up into it with the tow ball at headlight height. Thank god it missed the light pod or it would’ve been worse. Took me a while to hammer that out. Sheesh.

Jim, I bet your sister won't believe that you could identify the owner of a random X in LA traffic where she just happened to be driving while on a trip.

She lives in Burbank and was coming home to STL for the weekend. She is responsible for getting me my 78X from a guy in Astascadero in 2003 and she was at Papa Tony's SoCal 2006 Fiat gathering. I think I drove her to high school in my first X1/9 back in the early 80s. She is an X1/9 veteran... kinda. :)

I think it might be time to get another car as my daily driver and leave the X in the garage for playtime. I hate to do it, but I would hate even more walking to my car on a Target run and arriving to a dent or something even worse.

I am sure it is a harder decision with the nice year round weather in SoCal. Here where it snows, having a daily driver isn't a tough decision. I have a high mileage 2003 Honda pilot for daily duty and it also serves as a tow vehicle for the Fiats on long trips to events.

And don’t get me started on parking lot etiquete.
So true. But even my huge Ford F150 has fallen victim to this. It is a mild custom in pristine condition (or it was). So I always park it at the furthest corner of any parking lot, away from all other vehicles. But on one occasion I came out of the store and there was a shopping cart sitting next to the driver's door with a nice dent to match. And the truck was parked on the uphill side of the lot, plus the shopping cart was on the downhill side of the truck - how could it have accidently rolled into it? Appears someone intentionally took the cart all the way over there and shoved it into my truck. On another occasion I came out of a store and the rear tailgate had a long crease across it where another vehicle had hit it while passing by. The crease was quite high so I believe it was the city utility vehicle that I noticed parked in the lot as I went into the store. Again, my truck was in the far corner so how did another vehicle hit it? These incidences were after I moved to Vegas, so it isn't just SoCal that's bad (although I know first hand SoCal is worse than Vegas in this respect).
So the fact the X is so small isn't necessarily the problem - at least in terms of parking situations. My truck being so big creates its own issues. I think the answer is to have a total beater that you just don't care about. Preferably one with huge strong bumpers that make great rams when you need to act out your revenge. :D

I have a high mileage 2003 Honda pilot for daily duty and it also serves as a tow vehicle for the Fiats on long trips to events.
As I read this sentence I thought you were going to say: "it also serves as a tow vehicle for the Fiats when they break down". :D

I misunderstood about your sister living in SoCal, I thought she was heading the airport to return home from a trip. Pretty cool that she knows about X1/9s, guess it runs in the family. ;)

Back