I keep hearing his voice

Smaugz

Don Moreau
Both X's down. One interior to replace. One firewall needs welding. Two engine rebuilds to do. K20 was going to need it later because she was going through too much oil from the time I got her but she jumped two teeth on the timing chain which brought things forward quickly. Going to concentrate on the Orange 80, with a lot of help from fellow Xer from Woodstock, and try to get her done as quickly as possible. Will work on K20 over winter and see what kind of
power boost I can get.
65204070_10219575273073621_2505413221582635008_n (Medium).jpg
20190622_111219 (Medium).jpg
20190622_111321 (Medium).jpg
20190627_200903 (Medium).jpg
20190627_200917 (Medium).jpg
20190627_200935 (Medium).jpg
and I keep hearing his voice. Lmao.
65204070_10219575273073621_2505413221582635008_n (Medium).jpg

Dude, you sayin' you hear "voices?"
But wait, There's more. 3 new calipers, new carpeting, plug hole where 12 inch sub was, new firewall cover,Led bulbs all around, replace heating system, replace main seals, what the hey, rebuild whole engine with new properly flycut pistons.

But wait, there's more. Remove butchered wiring from multiple stereo installs. Remove wiring from Alarm install and put all wiring back to stock so car will start. Remove sorta foggy type lights, wiring and switches. Replace dash because of holes drilled for switches.

But wait there's more. Have to replace bushings on control arms, replace shocks, replace upper strut mounts, replace console because holes drilled into it. Will there be more yet?

But wait there's more. Engine and tranny out. engine disassembled. Crank main seal areas are scored. taking all into shop tomorrow for measurements. Can't wait.

I don't understand how it could have advanced two teeth on the chain. Are you sure it was not like this the whole time? I am crossing my fingers this is not as expensive as it may be.

This is a known issue with these engines. Chain wears and jumps. Won't be pulling the K20 until I finish the stock engine and the never ending list of things in the 80 X1/9.

But wait there's more. Spent the last week with my friend from Woodstock rewiring the car so everything works again, replacing heater core matrix, removed butchered speaker inserts in 4x6 ports, repair heater levers, order new fan switch and 1300 tensioner bearing bracket, start posting extra parts to sell, cleaning and refreshing all the parts removed from the engine (don't think any seal or gasket was working).

Last edited:
But wait there's more. Just got the measurements back from the machine shop. New 86.8 pistons and rings ordered as well as bleed nipples and bleed nipple covers, main bearings. rod bearings, clutch pressure plate, adjustable cam timing gear, thrust washers, brake line copper washers, Caliper hand brake boots(Woodstock rebuilt a set of rear calipers for me, great help and savings) , firewall insulation. Will it ever end!!!! Lmao

But wait there's more. Spent the last week with my friend from Woodstock rewiring the car so everything works again, replacing heater core matrix, removed butchered speaker inserts in 4x6 ports, repair heater levers, order new fan switch and 1300 tensioner bearing bracket, start posting extra parts to sell, cleaning and refreshing all the parts removed from the engine (don't think any seal or gasket was working).

Who is this friend in Woodstock? That’s pretty close to me, could always use extra help on my X.

But wait, there's more. I went to remove the rad and found more Cheap Bastard P.O. butchering. The air dam was held in place by Aluminum straps and stove bolts. The grill was barely in place, one "good" repair with J B Weld and the rest with Gaffer Tape. The hoses to the rad were "crunchy" and "squishy" at the same time. These looked like they were never replaced and were original. Found 3 very poor repairs on the rad. Have replacements for all of it. I have found wood screws, bolt holes that were stripped then a larger bolt hammered in place, S.A.E nuts on metric bolts, broken plastic parts with duck tape on the back to hold them together, useless switches added with shoddy wiring and bare live connectors, Holes drilled all over, tons of repairs that should have been looked after. Sad to say regular maintenance was not in this car's history. This car will be turnkey when I am done. I get the bored and decked block back today. I won't start the engine rebuild till next week as there is still more parts to clean and refurb or replace. The cost of the car was $3000 Canadian. The cost of all the parts and machining comes to just over $10,000, this does not include all the hours spent on the car that thankfully I don't have to pay for. We are sitting at 500 man hours on this car so far and we haven't started putting the engine back together yet. I think I have found the point of my discussion. The x1/9's worst enemy is the previous owner who refused to pay the price for the parts because he thought they were too expensive and he thought he could MacGyver it and that would be ok. Parts can be expensive because the car is 40+ years old. Use the internet and shop smartly. The parts for this car has come from Texas, California , Florida, New York, New Jersey, England, Latvia, China, France, Holland, Italy, Austria and Canada. These cars when properly looked after and are in very good shape are worth a lot more for this very reason. You should be happy, the value of these cars is going up, that means yours is worth more. People are seeing more of them on the street and the interest is going up with the price. I have owned 8 of these vehicles now including brand new 79 I bought in May of 79. Out of all these cars other than the 79 only the 84 I bought from Dennis from Woodstock was properly looked after before and after I owned it. That leaves 6 cars with questionable records before I touched them. Pretty piss poor odds. Hoping to see this change.

Last edited:
But wait, there's more. I went to remove the rad and found more Cheap Bastard P.O. butchering. The air dam was held in place by Aluminum straps and stove bolts. The grill was barely in place, one "good" repair with J B Weld and the rest with Gaffer Tape. The hoses to the rad were "crunchy" and "squishy" at the same time. These looked like they were never replaced and were original. Found 3 very poor repairs on the rad. Have replacements for all of it. I have found wood screws, bolt holes that were stripped then a larger bolt hammered in place, S.A.E nuts on metric bolts, broken plastic parts with duck tape on the back to hold them together, useless switches added with shoddy wiring and bare live connectors, Holes drilled all over, tons of repairs that should have been looked after. Sad to say regular maintenance was not in this car's history. This car will be turnkey when I am done. I get the bored and decked block back today. I won't start the engine rebuild till next week as there is still more parts to clean and refurb or replace. The cost of the car was $3000 Canadian. The cost of all the parts and machining comes to just over $10,000, this does not include all the hours spent on the car that thankfully I don't have to pay for. We are sitting at 450 man hours on this car so far and we haven't started putting the engine back together yet. I think I have found the point of my discussion. The x1/9's worst enemy is the previous owner who refused to pay the price for the parts because he thought they were too expensive and he thought he could MacGyver it and that would be ok. Parts can be expensive because the car is 40+ years old. Use the internet and shop smartly. The parts for this car has come from Texas, California , Florida, New York, New Jersey, England, Latvia, China, France, Holland, Italy, Austria and Canada. These cars when properly looked after and are in very good shape are worth a lot more for this very reason. You should be happy, the value of these cars is going up, that means yours is worth more. People are seeing more of them on the street and the interest is going up with the price. I have owned 8 of these vehicles now including brand new 79 I bought in May of 79. Out of all these cars other than the 79 only the 84 I bought from Dennis from Woodstock was properly looked after before and after I owned it. That leaves 6 cars with questionable records before I touched them. Pretty piss poor odds. Hoping to see this change.
When I got my X, the PO had a battery loose in the rear trunk and a hole butchered to fit the wires. Battery acid corrosion took out the pan. Had to baking sida wash it a few times to clean it up, and in the process of replacing the pan now. Original cable was/is still there and functional??? Also, the l/f strut was so dead, the upper mount was bent and the mounting surface was cracked! Had been driven on for awhile?? Also had a non fiat alternator Maguyvered in, not even close to having the pulleys lined up? Like you Don, I ask “WTF”!!!

But wait there's more. After cleaning up the fan shrouds and painting them I went to rebuild them with refurbed parts and a good used rad from the ever helpful Woodstock. I put the first fan together no problem. Got to the second one and found the shroud was not round and the new fan blade refused to travel as it hit the sides of the shroud. Tried to put the shroud back to round but failed as I don't have anything that large and round to true it up against. I decided to look at the old fans I had removed and found out the second reason why one of them was originally making noise. The P.O. was at it again. Instead trueing old shroud or replacing it he ground down the blades so they would miss the inside of the shroud. He did not do a good job keeping them balanced which pooched the bearings that caused the squeal. Hoping Woodstock has a spare rad fan shroud.Damn

Back