I like these aftermarket wheels - any idea what they are?

Discussion in 'Rear-Engine Fiats' started by khnitz, Mar 26, 2020.

1. khnitz

khnitz Daily Driver

I thought the wheels on this 850 sport spider on Bring a Trailer matched the vehicle well. Any idea what they are?

[​IMG]

Frank L. Di Gioia and mkmini like this.
  2. DanielForest

DanielForest True Classic

Those are Simca wheels, which is one of the few brand which is using a 4x98mm bolt pattern. But you will have to shop in Europe to find them...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Frank L. Di Gioia and khnitz like this.
  3. khnitz

khnitz Daily Driver

Hmmm...I have contacts in Europe. I may have to source a set... :)

Frank L. Di Gioia likes this.
  4. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

They are a pretty cool design, almost "Lambo-esque":

13548394474_a3326a517c_c.jpg

5. bg82x

bg82x Bob Grasch

Same subject different wheel. Similar in design.These wheels are on my 67 850. I'm curious what type/brand these are. I was told by someone years ago there from England?

DSCN0508.JPG DSCN0594.JPG

6. DanielForest

DanielForest True Classic

I found my wheels on leboncoin web site. Some sellers are not willing to have the trouble of shipping but some will. I have often seen the model you are looking for because they are 4x98mm.

https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/1732751335.htm/

https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/1765618076.htm/

https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/1615622844.htm/

https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/1764767371.htm/
    [​IMG]
    These last ones are new with new Michelin tires. But price accordingly (in euro)
    (and many other ads, I just stop there...)

Your biggest problem will be... are you good in French?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Frank L. Di Gioia, kmead and khnitz like this.
  7. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

Bob, I like yours also. The design really shows best in the photo viewed at an angle, where the 3D shape of the "cups" stands out.

Frank L. Di Gioia, khnitz and bg82x like this.
  8. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

I've always liked that design from the Lambo Miura. There are a couple of companies making modern interpretations of it (sort of) for various popular applications.

This example is from Rotiform:
    2016335_2_1723.jpg 1777070_2_9495.jpg

There is another company (don't recall the name) that has one I like even more. It takes the design a step further for a more modern look. Wish I could remember who they are so I can pull up an example.

These styles aren't appropriate for a vintage Fiat, but they look great on some other classic European cars.

9. kmead

kmead Over half way.

Bob I think yours are Melbers. Mang I believe had a set on one of his 850s.

Nope, not Melber.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Frank L. Di Gioia likes this.
  10. Jeff Stich

Jeff Stich True Classic

Bob,
    Your wheels are indeed English, made by Dunlop & marketed by Mag Products. They were imported to the USA by Rich Motors in the late 1960's & sold as the "Rich GT" model alloy wheel. This was John Rich's favorite wheel to use on the OTAS/Lombardi 850's (which he also also imported & sold).

The "Rich GT" wheel as illustrated in the 1969 Rich Motors Fiat-Abarth catalog (note the Dunlop "D" logo on the wheel center cap):

rich6x13gt.jpg

The same wheels shown on original Rich-imported OTAS cars:

ot013.jpg otas-grand-grix-francis-lombardi-0049-with-fiat-850-spider-2.jpg otas-grand-grix-francis-lombardi-0049-with-fiat-850-spider-12.jpg

11. bg82x

bg82x Bob Grasch

Thank you Jeff! I appreciate you sharing the history of these wheels. Very interesting.

12. kmead

kmead Over half way.

They look so much better and more interesting in one color than the black and polished version.

Thank you Jeff, we are lucky to have your deep knowledge of this part of the Fiat marque.

Thanks fo the pics, they do look great on the OTAS. Did you roll that out of your garage?

13. kmead

kmead Over half way.

Great looking example of the car. Nice spot to take the main picture as well.

khnitz likes this.
  14. Frank L. Di Gioia

Frank L. Di Gioia True Classic

Hi Bob,
    Nice OT1000! I had one once but it was a "conversion" from a regular 850 '67 Spider. Over time it went from an 843 to a 903 to a 1liter to a 1050 with PBS 8-port dual DCOE's to a 1438 reverse rotation twin cam with dual DCOE's. If it had been a actual Abarth I'd have left it stock. The reason I love rear engine Fiats is that (at least I feel) it's in their nature to hot rod. To play with a Ferrari is somehow violates some sacred taboo. Very creative photography next to the pond (here in the desert that would be a lake) with the colors.
    Frank

kmead likes this.