I want this Death Kart

carl

True Classic
Came upon this Miata Death Kart conversion on the way home yesterday and asked the boss to take pics of it
IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2655.jpg

IMG_2657.jpg

What I really want to do is make an X1/9 version of it.

Now, all you got to do is get yourself an LS and drop it in there... hahaha.. Glad to see someone has time to have car fun!

Sorry I became an instant fan of the LS when I saw an episode of fast and loud. Arron shoved one in a 911 and informed everyone that they weigh less than that huge flat six. Simple stupid power.

Are there brake lights anywhere on it? Harnesses poorly installed. Should go straight back from seats to cage or harness bar, not down.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, I find the joy in building something like this, not buying one. Still trying to figure out what an X version would look like, Do you keep at it with the Sawzal until the chassis starts flexing? I would leave the B pillar/sail panel as that is a signature feature of an X.

Nige (really that's the best nom do plume you could come up with....we know who you are!) I never said it was pretty, the wires wrapped around the cage tubes was really poor. Also, if you build it for street use and don't wear a helmet you have to be really careful where the frame tubes are in relation to your head. I ran into this with an ITC X I set up for the street and realized I would get serious brain injury with the halo bar about 2" from my head.

There's a thread somewhere about a father and son project doing a radically modified x19 with not much body panels left and a lot of tubes.

Welding one more tube on each door will make it a real cage with no exit! That would be a great project for you. Living in you x19! After all, we are all used to eat take-out because we couldn't enter into the restaurant...:D

Here are a couple of pics of a tube frame X that's destined to have a stock car type body installed. An X cart probably wouldn't look like this.

Frame1.jpg
Frame2.jpg

Now, all you got to do is get yourself an LS and drop it in there... hahaha.. Glad to see someone has time to have car fun!
Not going to lie, I've done a little research into whether one of the transverse LS engines could be attached to a manual transmission. After learning that they do, I have been avoiding getting measurements of the engine bay and the LS in question.

My question is how much sheet metal can you cut off an X and not compromise the rigidity of the chassis. I suspect everything behind the rear lateral crossmember in the back, not sure about the front. I don't have a trashed X body to play with so it's all conjecture.

Not going to lie, I've done a little research into whether one of the transverse LS engines could be attached to a manual transmission. After learning that they do, I have been avoiding getting measurements of the engine bay and the LS in question.
I was looking to put a transverse LS in the 600. I think I could adapt the current 3T40 auto trans, but I don't think it will handle the power.
There is a transverse GM manual trans (F40) that a lot of people use. Not cheap but reliable.
Fiero forums have a lot of info and opinions.
Somebody go get Carl back to the forum, I think he stopped after reading "auto trans".

Back