Icons / Emojis hidden

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
Following the recent update to the forum structure, I've notice the headers have changed on my screen. For example in order to add an emoji I have to first click on "more options", them the selection comes up to choose from. Might be on my end, perhaps I need to reset something?

Oddly I see it on this screen, but not in other forum areas or PM's.

Is it perhaps the size of your browser window? The pages are responsive to window size and so more elements are relegated to sub-menus as available space is reduced.

Is it perhaps the size of your browser window?
Good thought, however that has not changed and the option for emojis was shown previously. The header menu seemed to change shortly after the recent updates, but I'm not saying that's necessarily related. It appears to be 'truncated'. No other changes have occured on my end (that I know of). So was wondering if this is unique to me or not?

There was a minor version upgrade in Xenforo so quite possible the layout was altered a bit. Does it look like this?
Screenshot from 2021-02-10 12-49-30.png

There was a minor version upgrade in Xenforo so quite possible the layout was altered a bit. Does it look like this?
View attachment 42660
Yes. Previously it had more options across the top - including the "smiley" face that brought up all the emoji choices in a drop down box. Now I have to get it by first clicking on the 3-dots ("more options"), then the smiley.

In fact, I think when you click the 3-dots, the extra options shown were all(?) on the main header before?
I tried to move the "smilies" to the main bar by click and drag, right click, etc, but no luck. Is there a place to set "settings" that will move it up?

I see there are three of those 3-dot "more options" places on the main header. I'm referring to the middle one.

I'm now noticing other things have moved; color text, underline, fonts, formatting stuff, etc, all of which used to be automatically shown at the top menu.

By the way Mark. This isn't a huge deal, just less convenient. Mainly I was wondering if I need to change some "settings" or other action on my end. I appreciate your time. I'd give you a 'wink' but it's too hard to get to (smile).

On my laptop, the bar at the top of my message is still showing all the options including the smiles ;):cool::p
I guess the problem is the nut behind the steering. Or you changed something inadvertently.

I've been noticing other changes as well. For example when adding pictures to a post. It has a completely different format at the bottom of the post where the attachments are shown. And it is more difficult to locate them in the post - less obvious where they will end up, sometimes going in very odd places.

Mark, if you are still watching this thread...
In post #4 you asked if my screen looks like the sample you posted. I assume that's how your screen looks? Did it look like that before the changes?

My screen looks that way when I shrink the browser window smaller. I was illustrating that the composition of the edit/format controls varies depending on the viewport size available. I don't believe it's any personal settings :)

I have not changed anything on my PC, browser, window size, etc., but now have the same changes to the message edit/format header & photo-upload options as noted by Dr. Jeff. They definitely correspond with the timing of the last Xweb update. Intentionally shrinking my browser window doesn't affect anything.

I might be wrong but I vaguely seem to recall that mine did not change IMMEDIATELY after the update, but maybe a couple days afterwards? However I wasn't paying that close attention so I'm not sure.

I keep noticing lots of other things that are different also. Mostly small stuff that doesn't affect the functioning much, but a bit annoying.

No other aspect of my computer useage or internet service has changed and all other web site, forums, etc, still function the same as before. Actually my operating system is old enough that it does not receive updates from MS, and my Chrome browser is in the same boat accordingly. So nothing has been changed...maybe that's the problem?

To add a bit more detail to this: Yes there was a Xenforo minor version upgrade done as part of the work. That was necessary to remain reasonably current and on supported code. There were some UI functionality changes as part of that upgrade, including the edit controls. Whether you like them or not (and I have mixed feelings), such changes are the nature of modern software development and will continue to be so.

Lots of people running outdated versions of Windows out there. Is it a security risk? Yes, but everyone decides risk for themselves (unless it's a pandemic :confused:) No Chrome updates suggests pre-Windows 7 (?!) though, which I'd say is too old to be safe online unless isolated. If you are no longer getting regular Chrome updates, it's quite possible that your web experience will continue to devolve further since standards are a moving target.

Here's a video demonstrating how the browser window viewport size does affect the composition of the edit controls. This is done so that one instance runs on every platform including mobile.

Thanks Mark. Actually I need to correct myself; I do get Chrome updates, just not from MS (I have another older computer that runs "7" and does not get Chrome updates). And I've found far fewer issues with my operating system ever since I stopped getting the MS updates. I also have security software installed. Luckily I've not had any problems. However I don't spend a ton of time on the internet outside of Xweb and my email.

No problem with the update and resultant UI changes. But it seems odd that some members haven't experienced those changes.

Back