Ideas for donor vehicles?

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
This is very "NFC" and might belong better on some completely different forum in general. But I wouldn't want the opinions I'd get from the only other forums that I've ever participated in. So I'm going to ask here, where I know great minds live. :)

I'm looking for ideas on potential donor vehicles to build a possible future project. Basically I want to convert a transverse front engine - front wheel drive vehicle into a front engine - rear drive one. I think the best way to do a drivetrain swap like that is to start with a complete running/driving donor vehicle. One that has the sort of engine, transmission, rear end, steering, etc, that you want to use in the project vehicle.

In this case I'd like to have a traditional longitudinal engine/transmission in the front with a live axle in the rear. Possibly a V8 or V6, with a manual trans or a automatic that can easily be built for heavy abuse. Lighter weight is always a big plus. Durable and reliable as well. And the big goal, something very inexpensive...both on terms of initial donor vehicle purchase and build cost (any performance upgrades, etc).

Things like a aluminum LS engine are too expensive. Old small block Chevy's are too heavy. So maybe something from Japan with all aluminum V6 or V8, solid axle, front/rear layout? A mini truck comes to mind. But I'm not well versed on Japanese vehicles and not sure what year, make, models are readily available cheap and have those requirements?

The old Chevy S10 pickup with the Vortex V6 is easy and cheap to find. The engine is a bit heavy but can be upgraded cheaply. The trans can also be upgraded easily and affordably. This would be about the largest vehicle I'd like to start with. Otherwise all of the major components will be too big to fit into the available space.

I'm sure there must be lots of other alternatives besides trucks. I know there are many choices with independent rear ends; BMW's, Toyota's, Mercedes, Honda's, but the particular models with preferred engines and transmissions are more expensive. And using a independent rear would make the project much more involved.

What suggestions does anyone have for good cheap donor vehicles like this?

Depends how vintage or modern you want to go Nissan made a lot of rwd cars 240z, 260z, 280z, etc. 240sx. More modern Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ. MX 5

Back in the 60s, we used to build cars on the cheap like that by finding an older vehicle with a dead power train not worth fixing but otherwise OK. Then find a not too exotic big V8 out of a wreck or somebody else's abandoned project and have at it.

This is very "NFC" and might belong better on some completely different forum in general. But I wouldn't want the opinions I'd get from the only other forums that I've ever participated in. So I'm going to ask here, where I know great minds live. :)

I'm looking for ideas on potential donor vehicles to build a possible future project. Basically I want to convert a transverse front engine - front wheel drive vehicle into a front engine - rear drive one. I think the best way to do a drivetrain swap like that is to start with a complete running/driving donor vehicle. One that has the sort of engine, transmission, rear end, steering, etc, that you want to use in the project vehicle.

In this case I'd like to have a traditional longitudinal engine/transmission in the front with a live axle in the rear. Possibly a V8 or V6, with a manual trans or a automatic that can easily be built for heavy abuse. Lighter weight is always a big plus. Durable and reliable as well. And the big goal, something very inexpensive...both on terms of initial donor vehicle purchase and build cost (any performance upgrades, etc).

Things like a aluminum LS engine are too expensive. Old small block Chevy's are too heavy. So maybe something from Japan with all aluminum V6 or V8, solid axle, front/rear layout? A mini truck comes to mind. But I'm not well versed on Japanese vehicles and not sure what year, make, models are readily available cheap and have those requirements?

The old Chevy S10 pickup with the Vortex V6 is easy and cheap to find. The engine is a bit heavy but can be upgraded cheaply. The trans can also be upgraded easily and affordably. This would be about the largest vehicle I'd like to start with. Otherwise all of the major components will be too big to fit into the available space.

I'm sure there must be lots of other alternatives besides trucks. I know there are many choices with independent rear ends; BMW's, Toyota's, Mercedes, Honda's, but the particular models with preferred engines and transmissions are more expensive. And using a independent rear would make the project much more involved.

What suggestions does anyone have for good cheap donor vehicles like this?

X 1/9, angle grinder with about 50 cutting wheels and the entire drivetrain from a late GM rear wheel drive V6 DOHC equipped (3.0, 3.2, 3.6) sedan.

Thanks for all suggestions. Based on some replies I might not have been clear, sorry. I'm not looking for a donor vehicle to put the drivetrain into, but the opposite...a donor vehicle to take the drivetrain out of for use in another vehicle. Preferably something new enough that the mechanicals will be in good condition (not needing to be rebuilt), yet not so new to be more costly. Frankly this project would only be for a few laughs so the build cost is probibly the biggest factor...as in REALLY cheap.

Nissan made a lot of rwd cars 240z, 260z, 280z, etc. 240sx.
I'd have to look to see what's out there, but wouldn't Nissan Z cars be a little expensive? I'm referring to ones with aluminum engines; although I do not know exactly which ones that would be, I'm assuming it is much later models? I think a lot of the Nissans are sought after by the drifting crowd, so they may be a bit difficult to find a good deal on. Otherwise that would meet the general requirements.

If you do not need a frame, Fox body Mustang.
I've thought about the Fox body Mustang. Plentiful so should be cheap, V8, might be a really good option. The 5.0 engine is a little large physically for this but I'm sure it could be done. I think these engines have been squeezed into lots of import vehicles, including a MGB. It is also a little heavy, but that is the trade off for "cheap". Similar to what I said about many Nissans, I believe the Fox body is desired by the drag racing guys so it might be getting more difficult to find a good example for little money - but there were certainly a lot of them made/sold.

Please keep the ideas coming. ;)

It sounds like you have a vehicle in mind for this project. Might be a lot simpler if we knew if we were working with a Yugo or a full sized Buick.

It sounds like you have a vehicle in mind for this project.
I do. It is a oddball vehicle that I've been restoring/customizing for awhile, a VW pickup truck from the 70's. Definitely not Fiat related so I didn't want to get too much into it. I have a engine and trans from a later VW GTI in it that I was just going to keep. Makes decent power and drives well. But I saw a video where someone took the same truck and put a LS V8, Chevy trans, and Ford rear end in it and it looks like a lot of fun. A toy for doing burnouts, donuts, drifts, etc. So I might do something like that to it eventually. But it will not be anything special, just a low buck quick conversion to thrash on. This isn't mine, but the same model for reference:

Mk2 grill-bumper - Copy.jpg

Lexus or Infinity v8 from the 1990's? Should be cheap ones available now.
I'll have to look into them. Do you happen to know any particular models that would make good candidates? I know absolutely nothing about Japanese or American cars.

Were there any K20 or K24 engined rear drive cars made? I know there is the AWD Element but not familiar with where else they are used. It would seem that cars of that vintage would be relatively cheap and there seems to be ways to make big power with those motors.

Infiniti G35 Sedan or Coupe. Find one where the interior is shagged and you would get a very nice V6, manual transmission, independent rear and you could like keep the VW front suspension with a new cross member.

Can be easily had with a slushbox, manual would be a bit more difficult.

Miata would be another good choice, add a Mazda V6 KJ instead of the 4. Use the Miata rear suspension which is a complete package. Could still keep the VW front suspension with an alternative crossmember.

Not sure where the "low buck, quick conversion" comes in here.
How much of the cab do you have to remove for trans/driveshaft clearance?

Didn't one of the big car magazines do a twin engine Honda Civic with a layout similar to your photo about 30 years ago?
I thought I remembered a Jetta; the Scirocco cutaway was easy to find, and I thought showed the concept pretty well.

Google came up with the twin engine Honda CRX that Car & Driver did in their May 1985 issue. I may actually have that issue in my basement.

The chassis on this particular vehicle is a bit different for a truck. It has a unibody construction, front-wheel drive with MacPherson struts in front, and a solid beam rear axle on leaf springs. I doesn't handle well at all, and the whole unibody really isn't all that robust. But frankly none of that would matter because in this particular instance I wouldn't be trying to make it anything more that a parking lot toy to thrash on and destroy...hince the "cheap and easy" approach. Anything in the way just gets cut out, any reinforcements that are absolutely needed are just welded on top of whatever is there, any changes necessary are done "hack" style...I wouldn't care. This definitely would not be my usual "proper" build. I realize it can be difficult to think in such terms - it is for me anyway - but sometimes in life it's better to not think so much and just enjoy yourself. :p

Components that are a little 'overkill' would be more robust to handle the abuse. A engine with lots of torque and stout enough to be somewhat reliable under these conditions (I even considered a diesel, for about a second :confused:). A manual trans should be more fun, but a automatic could work so long as it can be made to manually shift and hold up to the punishment. A solid rear axle with a welded diff will be the simplest to do and will allow for good burnouts.

There are many import vehicles that I would love to use the drivetrains out of. But I think most of them will be more expensive, difficult to do, and perhaps not robust enough. Although the lighter weight of their components would be a big plus. So I can see where a American donor vehicle's drivetrain might be best due to the cheap and robust aspect; any modifications required to make the engine/trans/diff work would be simple and very affordable to do.

My brother used to race NASCAR stock cars (unfortunately, I hate to admit I'm related to anyone into that :oops:) and has a couple of old wrecked cars sitting in his backyard. So I thought that might be a good resource. But after more thought there are several reasons why not (I won't get into why).

At the moment this is only something I'm tossing about in my empty head. I have plenty of other projects to finish first. But I've always wanted to build a vehicle that I really didn't care about thrashing and abusing just to do stupid things in. Another such concept is a vehicle that you could use as a battering ram for all of those idiot drivers on the roads; something big, strong and heavy like a destruction derby car. :D

Maybe just add another four?
There have been several FWD VW's that have done this, including from the factory. And many that moved the front drivetrain to the rear for a mid engine layout. There are even a few of the same VW trucks I have that put the drivetrain in the bed to make them rear wheel drive. But for my intended use I'd rather have a front engine and rear drive; more weight up front so the rear tires have less traction. :D

Back