If you want to make an 037 omlette...

Wow! Now that is a commitment or grounds for a commitment!

So does this involve a kit of pre-engineered parts or are you sashaying into the unknown with drawings of your own?

Can't wait to see how this unfolds or more aptly gets welded back together. Please take lots and lots of pictures.

No kit...

Wow! Now that is a commitment or grounds for a commitment!

So does this involve a kit of pre-engineered parts or are you sashaying into the unknown with drawings of your own?

Can't wait to see how this unfolds or more aptly gets welded back together. Please take lots and lots of pictures.

What I do have that is pre-fabbed is the fiberglass clamshells (minus a couple minor pieces). I also have some fairly detailed drawings of the original 037 front and rear subframes. Just took delivery of the DOM tubing today in fact. I am waiting on a tubing notcher and some fine-adjustable screw jack stands arriving this week, and after I level the chassis I can start welding.

I have been working on the drivetrain for about 6 months now, mostly fabbing an adapter plate to mate a Ford/Yamaha SHO V6 3.0 motor to a Boxster 5-speed.

I haven't really mentioned the project a lot on Xweb, but it is being chronicled in detail here.

http://projectscorpion.wordpress.com

Pete

Never mind just read your blog. Didn't know you were that far along with the adaptor plate. Good luck and have fun!

I have to admit...

the engine at least partially for visual appeal. Check out this installation in an early Esprit.

Plus, Italian cars and Ford engines have somewhat of a history. And without the accessories, the engine is capable of 8500rpm redline, which will absolutely scream.

As far as keeping it Fiat or Lancia engined, well, look at my daily driver and you can easily discern how much I care about "keeping it in the family". :)

Pete

I do not.

I only became aware of it through the SHO group, the guy who showed it to me said the web site was no longer up.

Pete

Legend has it

I have always liked that engine. To bad it was wasted on the taurus.

That Ford ordered them from Yamaha in the mid/late 80's because they were going to build a mid-engine Corvette fighter. The project got cancelled but it was too late to cancel the engine order from Yamaha so Ford had to figure out what to do with them. The Taurus SHO is what they came up with.

So here I am 25 years later, doing Fords dirty work for them.

Pete

Awesome progress there Pete. Love the use of the SHO! I had some early ideas about fitting an Acura legend V6 and 5 speed with its longitudinal layout but after seeing some K20 conversions it seems like the way to go with my Scorpion. Looking forward to your next post!

Here's what I'm starting with so I don't feel too bad about the swap as there's really nothing left of the original engine.

Back