Ignition coils

Mike Schofield

True Classic
Anyone ever try a NGK ignition coil?
Part #48860
1B28A37A-E8F9-403A-946B-AA4155A48CC0.png

Hi Mike - for an injected car? I haven't, but I've found the OE Bosch units to be reliable and long lasting. Mine has the original coil at 190K kms! I even have the original ignition module.

I had a red MSD coil fail. Afterward found out most coils should be mounted vertical, mounting them horizontally can increase chance of failure. The MSD tech info tells you to mount it vertically. The high vibration MSD coil can be mounted any direction.

I wouldn't use an NGK coil on a Bosch or Marelli system, but I wouldn't use NGK plugs on the Fiat motor either :D

My Honda Motor, that's another story altogether....

Funny all my Fiats have NGKs and always have.

The one time I deviated and put Motorcraft plugs in, the Found On the Road Dead syndrome set in on my 124 Sport Coupe.

Mine just came in the mail. I’ve used ngk plugs for a long time and have some ngk iridiums in my X right now. I’m going to giver a try and see what happens...

Funny all my Fiats have NGKs and always have.

The one time I deviated and put Motorcraft plugs in, the Found On the Road Dead syndrome set in on my 124 Sport Coupe.

This is what came out of my C30 - 100K miles, still good actually (FoMoCo/Bosch). Part of the problem (for me) with NGK's is the different heat range coding - I'm used to Bosch, so I'm sticking with it :D

FR7N133.jpg

I had to replace my coil a couple of years ago to fix a high rpm stutter/cut-out. IIRC I was looking for an OEM replacement but no one had them. Wanting to stick with Bosch, I found there are Bosch coils for points systems and Bosch coils for electronic systems. I also found that Bosch has several factories world-wide for these (as well as other electrical items) so I wanted to get a European manufactured one if I could. After searching I got one on eBay but it took a couple of weeks of research, part number cross referencing, and specs comparisons.

FIAT 4386221 cross references to current Bosch part # 0 221 119 030

Last edited:
I found there are Bosch coils for points systems and Bosch coils for electronic systems...
FIAT 4386221 cross references to current Bosch part # 0 221 119 030
Just for reference, that's the so called Super Red type. Us Euro folk who are still trailing behind the curve with points/contact breakers can use the Super Blue version - available from all good vendors as they say :)

the Super Blue version
The Bosch "blue" coil was considered the 'gold-standard' upgrade replacement for most German cars for decades, particularly when they were actually made in Germany. But as Dan says, they are mostly made elsewhere now and the overall opinion for them has declined. However I'm sure it is still a great choice.

I wouldn't use an NGK coil on a Bosch or Marelli system, but I wouldn't use NGK plugs on the Fiat motor either
Part of the problem (for me) with NGK's is the different heat range coding
I agree that NGK spark plugs have a odd numbering system. They try to cover a rather wide heat range for each plug, giving far less options to tune-in your selection. However the NGK "racing" plug was the best I ever found for my 2-stroke offroad motorcycles; or some reason they seem to last longer before the premixed oil/fuel fouled them.
But I disagree with you on NGK ignition coils. I haven't seen or heard anything negative about them. What don't you like about it?

Another 'affordable' replacement ignition coil option is "Standard Motor Products" (Blue Streak) brand. Nothing special but decent quality for the money, overall a good value in my opinion. Available in any Ohm level, with or without internal ballast resistors, oil or epoxy filled, for any type of application, and very good prices. Many of the other brands on the market are made by Standard and relabeled (and much more expensive).

Back