Indicator flasher unit

speedy fiat

True Classic
When working the indicators, the dash board warning light flashes on once and then stops, the indicators are working fine. I have replaced the flasher unit with a new one and then got no warning light at all. The voltage from the both the old (after the initial flash) and new unit going to the dashboard light was only 2-3v, I'm guessing that it should be the usual 12v to work the warning bulb. If you remove the feed from the flasher unit going to the warning light, or even when you take the bulb out on the dash, then all the indicators stop/go out, I would have thought them separate systems. I'm not discounting that the replacement unit is also faulty but wondered if anybody had any other suggestions.

I don't have an answer but I have some information to share. I have had the same issue on both my 74 and my 80, namely the ts indicator would flash once and then no more while the actual turn signals continued to operate. First off, I think everyone understands that the stock wiring circuitry is not robust and has inherent issues, hence the brown wire mod and relay mods.

On my 80, I have been going through the all the electricals to correct non-functionalities and make improvements. I cleaned all of the fuse panel connections and did a headlight relay mod. Still had the ts issue, but good headlights. I pulled the Instrument panel cleaned all the contacts, replaced the small 74 size bulbs where needed and put in LEDs on the instrument panel lights. After this mod, the instrument panel turn signal flasher worked properly. I assume I somehow improved the voltage supplied to the ts light, but can't pinpoint one specific thing. Never messed with the flasher unit.

On my 74, I went through the fuse panel, cleaning everything and mending the failed female spade connectors. Some of them had one side fail leaving a loose connection. After this maintenance, the 74 ts indicator worked sort of properly. It would blink while turn signal blinked, but its speed varied with the car electrical load. In particular, when driving at night I put on my ts, the indicator would blink appropriately and then when I stepped on the brakes it would blink noticeably slower. I read a post by Bob Brown saying that the brake lights had a huge current draw, so I recently replaced the brake light lamps with LEDs. Now the ts indicator light does not slow up when I put on the brakes. Again, never messed with the flasher.

I'm a decent car electrical tech but not an EE to compute voltage drops across the circuits. Overall, I think there are two things going on. First the hardware is old and needs to be cleaned and repaired. Second, the non-robust design needs some help getting the necessary voltages and currents to the components. So I'm doing the relay mods and installing LEDs bit by bit and seeing incremental improvements as I go.

That's all I got. Not an oaken stake in the heart, but maybe a wreath of garlic. Good luck and best regards, jrt.

I'm also no EE by any means, but the description @jrt gives certainly sounds as though the issue is caused by something like too much resistance or such, causing a decrease in current in the circuit. The really encouraging part is the problem was cured in both of his cases by maintenance and general improvements of the electrical system. The same has been found with lots of random electrical gremlins on these cars. How often have we heard that a dirty/loose ground connection was the cause. The sad part is it's a job to go through the whole system cleaning/repairing connections and damaged spots. A lot of it is difficult to access. But it will be a great opportunity to perform all of the usual upgrades in the process.

Back