Info Request: Water Pump For Early Cars with A/C

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
Reference: https://www.ebay.com/itm/223632764803

A couple of pix from the listing in case it disappears:

early x ac water pump 2.jpg early x ac water pump.jpg

I am trying to help out this seller with some info. I was going to send the info below but before I do I would like to get verification from X-Heads who have experience with early cars with A/C and that unique water pump and drive pulley arrangement. Thx!

"Regarding the big FIAT X1/9 water pumps.

"Both pumps are for early X1/9s (1300 cc from '75 to '78) with Air Conditioning. This unusual pump design was needed because the engineers decided to put the air conditioning compressor at the flywheel end of the engine instead of the pulley end of the engine. The squarish housing flowed coolant while the driveshaft transferred pulley rotation. The small double-groove pulley at the end opposite the water pump housing was what actually drove the A/C compressor.

"The difference in the number of grooves in the water pump end pulley had to do with whether any particular car was equipped with a "smog" pump or air pump. The smaller extra groove was for the belt driving the air pump when equipped."

Interesting. That would say there are air pumps driven by V belts rather than the more common toothed belt used on non AC cars.

Both pumps are for early X1/9s (1300 cc from '75 to '78) with Air Conditioning
I have no idea, but for some reason thought these were changed to a different design sooner than '78 ??? However that isn't based on any experience, real knowledge, or other meaningful criteria, just what I thought (I've never owned a 1300).

That would say there are air pumps driven by V belts rather than the more common toothed belt used on non AC cars.
I can only confirm that my '79 with a smog pump and AC was V-belt driven for all accessories, no tooth belts [I say "was" because I've eliminated the smog pump]. But it also has the "normal" AC type water pump (i.e. not extended like the ones Dan is talking about).

Back