Input shaft leak on 500 (Abarth) and transmission removal

myronx19

True Classic
Hi all,

Have any of you had their transmission start leaking from the input shaft? I thought (and hoped) that I had an engine oil leak, but nope.. it's from the transmission.. crap.

Not happy about it, especially since my car is out of warranty.

Has anyone pulled their transmission out themselves? Does the procedure require the condenser and rad to come out (and intercoolers), or just the fascia and support structure?

It's a bit of work to get the transmission out.. all for an $8 seal :(

My car has had the rear main seal changed (and oil pan) - uff..

I love driving this car, but I'm not loving the owning of it so far. I bought it used, but it was a one owner well maintained car. :(

Thanks! In fact, I just placed an order before I saw your post. They don't sell it in Canada, but I emailed the guys this morning and they responded quickly. You don't need to pour much in, so if it doesn't work - no big deal..

I had to buy two litres of transmission fluid though, and it's a whopping $80 CAD for TWO LITRES!! Yikes!

I love the car, but I hate the car.. hehe.. Oh, and I found out - it's just front fascia and subframe/structure that comes out, the rad/condenser stays in place. It could be that my input shaft bearing is toast. Oh well.. :( that's Fiat for you, lol!!

Back