Insertable headlight harness -Last build

bbrown

Bob Brown
I'm completing my last build of my insertable headlight harnesses.
Those of you who have a set of these know the result of installing them.
I've just completed 8 sets and will build a few more in a few days, but when they're gone, they're gone.
This is my last build

What they do:
These allow a simple method of installing external relays to your headlights for both hi and low beam.
Once installed, you can use literally any headlight of your choosing.
This insert also protects your headlight switch from overload and removes the headlight's load from your car's harness.

What they don't do:
This insert will not fix a headlight circuit that doesn't already work.

Construction:
These are built using marine grade wire, (12Ga) Qty=4 40Amp relays with sockets and high-temp ceramic H4 plugs.
Each assembly is designed to be separately mounted in each headlight pod. The only requirement is that a single
12Ga fused wire be run from the battery to each pod.
I have included detailed instructions (Pg. 1 of 2 shown below) that visually describes the installation.
(My instruction also doubles the capacity to your fuse block if you follow the recommendation)

Pricing: (USA) $95 + $5.50 shipping. If paying by PayPal please add $4.50 to cover fees (total of $105.00)

PM me if interested.

This is what you get:
newinsertheadlightharnedd4.jpg

Wiring illustration, Pg. 1
harnessinstallp1asmdw2.jpg

Hi Bob,

My car has a headlight and ignition switch that runs hot when I use my headlights. Will this relay have a beneficial effect?

If so, count me in. Can I pay via check? If you recall, we meet at Tony's house. If you want to wait for the check to clear, no problem.

Ed

Yes it will

Hi Bob,

My car has a headlight and ignition switch that runs hot when I use my headlights. Will this relay have a beneficial effect?

If so, count me in. Can I pay via check? If you recall, we meet at Tony's house. If you want to wait for the check to clear, no problem.

Ed

This will make your switch run stone cold -as it should be. PM me and I'll send you details. Thanks!

OK Folks, nearly all are spoken for.

I'd have shipped the first batch out today, but MLK Day put an end to that.
Tomorrow they go to all that have PayPal'd me. I will send confirmation notices to all that did. (you know who you are!)

I await payment on a few sets prior to ship and will check on shipping costs to our Australian friends tomorrow.

More of these forthcoming, but the first run (15 sets) are now sold.
I'll keep you posted when the next batch is ready.

With my many thanks!

OMG!!!!:mallet:...this reminds me i have a set of this laying somewhere!!!......good winter project:headbang:.........

(easily confused newbie alert)

Was this the last set (as in the original message) or are more sets coming along after all?

(easily confused newbie alert)

Was this the last set (as in the original message) or are more sets coming along after all?

I either bought them last yr or probably before that:).....By the way,im not a newbie,been here for more than 10 yrs now!!!...

Thanks Bob and Albert. Only just joined and thought I'd missed out forever.

Will sit patiently and wait for news of the next batch. :)

Last Sunday I installed the first of two headlight relay kits, purchased from Bob Brown. It went into my daily driver -- my 1982 Fiat X1/9. I opted for a relatively simple wiring job from the battery. In the first picture you can see the inline fuse, with its crimp-on connector sharing space next to the "brown (actually red) wire mod" connector (which was recommended and installed by Kelly Dicker and his team at Wine Country Motors in Napa, Ca.). The fresh headlight wire is inside the split tubing in front of the battery, and it disappears into the existing plastic cover for the wiring harness in the front trunk. Once the battery cover is in place the modification is barely noticeable.

Headlight-fuse.jpg

In the next set of images you can see the two headlights with their new ceramic sockets inside their rubber cups. I also took photos of the relays inside the headlight pod motor bays. The relays were mounted with 3M VHB mounting tape. If you look closely you can see that the grounding trees are a bit rusty, but on each side there was one free tab that was still rust-free, and just needed a slight bit of sanding and cleaning. It's almost as if the car was telling me, "Here are where the headlight mods go. I've been waiting for them." :)

Headlight-relays.jpg

I did not change or upgrade the headlamps themselves, but this mod has made a big difference in the quality of my nighttime driving! I feel like my 1982 has rejoined the league of modern cars, as far as headlight effectiveness is concerned. Thank you Bob for making these quality kits available! I've been meaning to do this mod for a long time, but did not have the free time and car expertise to do it fully myself.

Nice work!

And great illustrations. Glad this worked out as planned.
Thanks for sharing! :clap:

I'm in... if it is not too late!

I want one if there are still available. Let me know. danielforest(at)bellnet.ca

Daniel Forest
1987 white Bertone X1/9
1980 black Fiat X1/9

Well, it sort-of is but

I have the parts to build up a couple sets if you guys want them.
You're both in Canada so the shipping will be somewhat of a rip, but not too bad overall. Shipped to Canada total is $112 USD. Let me know and you can PayPal me if you still want a set. -Bob

Back