Insertable headlight harness -Last build

The Z Beams I had were one of my favorite lights ever. I moved them from car to car for years. Eventually ended up with a car with square headlights and nothing to put them on (during the Great Fiat Famine in my life in the late eighties).

Thanks for the link!

I did the same with some European Hella H4s I bought for my GTI in 1996. Once done on the GTI, I later installed them in my Miata R pkg in 99. Kept them there until 2005 when I sold the car...but kept the lights.

Then in 2008 I picked up a Range Rover classic and used them until 2011 when I sold it. Then they were on the shelf until 2015 when I bought my X1/9. They are there today, great lights. No need for blinding LEDs or silly stuff like that.

I have a few sets of H4 and H1 Cibies from my 400i and assorted Alfas laying around too.

I'm a big fan of proper, European spec headlights and bulbs. Not a fan of throwing HID or LED bulbs in random housings or god forbid those stupid angel eye LED projector monstrosities that people throw into their Jeeps or Alfa Spiders. Ugh.

Just because lighting technology is "vintage" doesn't mean it's bad. You just need to choose the right product. As you stated with the Cibie Z and me with my Hellas.

I have a few sets of H4 and H1 Cibies from my 400i and assorted Alfas laying around too.

I'm a big fan of proper, European spec headlights and bulbs. Not a fan of throwing HID or LED bulbs in random housings or god forbid those stupid angel eye LED projector monstrosities that people throw into their Jeeps or Alfa Spiders. Ugh.

Just because lighting technology is "vintage" doesn't mean it's bad. You just need to choose the right product. As you stated with the Cibie Z and me with my Hellas.
Had the Hellas in my Scirocco 2. They were great as well. Not quite the Z Beams but very good lights. Sadly went with the car.

I wonder if these replicas are any good?

Vintage headlights and driving lights have been a collectable item for years. I've seen ebay listings with outrageous prices.

I wonder if these replicas are any good?

This are not the ones that I posted the link to.
The site I use is https://classicgarage.com/7rounheadwit.html.
They are quite good and less expensive than the sportsandclassics.com link. I have a set on my sons 1980 Spider 2000 for over a decade and a set about to go on my 71 850 Coupe. I also have a pair of 5 3/4 but I have no idea why.

Last edited:
For those who still care, or just bored:
1. Relays installed
2. Wired through to headlight bucket
3. Old Sealed beam
4. Z-Beam replica

Attachments

• 20220120_130941.jpg
    20220120_130941.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220120_130957.jpg
    20220120_130957.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220120_131049.jpg
    20220120_131049.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220120_131224.jpg
    20220120_131224.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220120_131315.jpg
    20220120_131315.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 24
Cool - where are those relays located, and did you do any wire substitutions for larger gauge?
They are on his 850 Sport Coupe, a very different environment.

He has them on the right side of his front trunk just behind the head light. The wiring goes into the fender well and then up into the headlight bucket of the 850.

Returning to this thread since I cannot see how the install of one of these Amazon specials will go. I can do the power from the battery with a longer wire that can go into this little hole (where that black wire is from the POs alarm install) and put the relays and sockets in the passenger pod, but with these setups you need to run a set of wires from the passenger pod to the drivers pod. There is already an access hole on the passenger side, but the socket and wires need to exit the passenger side pod. I actually have a rust hole near the front there I can probably open up and use, but wondering what others have done.

Attachments

• driver frunk.jpg
    driver frunk.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 23
  • passenger frunk.jpg
    passenger frunk.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 23
Returning to this thread since I cannot see how the install of one of these Amazon specials will go. I can do the power from the battery with a longer wire that can go into this little hole (where that black wire is from the POs alarm install) and put the relays and sockets in the passenger pod, but with these setups you need to run a set of wires from the passenger pod to the drivers pod. There is already an access hole on the passenger side, but the socket and wires need to exit the passenger side pod. I actually have a rust hole near the front there I can probably open up and use, but wondering what others have done.
I released the wires from the headlight connector to fit them thru the existing holes.

I had a different kit, but I'm sure it's the same layout. I fed it into the hole by the driver headlight and then across the panel behind the radiator. There is a hole underneath into the passenger side headlight. I have the relays in the trunk and connect over to the battery. I think I added about a foot of wire to get there.

Back