Installing early engine trim parts on a late model car

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
I was killing time today, so I tried to test fit the side trim parts from an early X to my 85X. This has been discussed before. Some folks said there is no problem fitting the early trim, but I seemed to recall last time I tried there is a big difference in the engine bay sheet metal. I didn't have pictures at the time, so I took some today. The orange X is my 85, the black X is my 78 that came with the early trim.
20190801_132114.jpg

20190801_131849.jpg

20190801_131949.jpg

You can see the sheet metal in the 85 has a large landing spot for the footprint of the late model trim. The 78 just has a strip of sheet metal maybe 1/2" wide. The wide late model sheet metal will not allow the early trim to be installed without something being modified. I will probably trim the plastic on the early parts till it fits, but this seems like a winter project at this point of the summer. So my real plan is to procrastinate. :)

In case you notice odd things: Yes, the 85 was the "Champagne" color previously. And, yes, you are seeing electronic ignition and FI schtuffs on the 78.

Attachments

• 20190801_131912.jpg
    20190801_131912.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 41
That is exactly what I found when I tried to put early side panels on my '79 (my '79 is the same as your '85). I cut the sheet metal to try and replicate the early models, but I did not have a early X to compare to. So it was trial and error (seemed to be more error). I ended up trimming the plastic in addition to the sheet metal. And even then I still had to modify the mounting points and other things. To me they really aren't easily adapted (at least not cleanly). But as you say, others seemed not to have any problems doing it. Maybe there is more than one version of sheet metal and/or plastics?

Having done this retrofit, myself, I can vouch that the early style cover & trim fits. It's not ideal and will require some trimming (at least mine did). I have an early '79 with a build date of '78. My car has the larger style trim ( like the orange car posted). I decided to trim the lower edge of the side trim grills versus removal of the larger flange portion of the metal (in case I decide to go back to a 1500 cover). Due to broken and missing tabs, extra fitting, trimming and hardware was required (may not be required by others). The rest is mostly strait forward.

Also note worthy to mention for those who may not know, is that 75-78 engine covers are the same. The 74 cover is slightly different and is what I have currently. The latch striker is pitifully short on the 74 cover. So to fix this you have to A. Change your latch catch to one from a '74 or B. cut & weld a striker from any post '74 engine cover. I chose option B.

Not sure if this is helpful or If I went off the rails, but there ya go.

The 74 cover is slightly different....
It’s even worse than that. The transition between the early-style 1300 cover and the later 75-78 style didn’t exactly correspond to the model year transition between 74 and 75. You have to look at the cover and hinges to know what you have

It’s even worse than that. The transition between the early-style 1300 cover and the later 75-78 style didn’t exactly correspond to the model year transition between 74 and 75. You have to look at the cover and hinges to know what you have
I believe you can also tell by looking at the vertical section going across the back of the lid. The 74 is visibly shorter than the 75 - 78. I had a marginal interference issue when I put a 1500 in my 74 due to the increased deck height. Fortunately, the latch mechanism had lots of adjustment room in the upward direction. That and readjusting the rubber stops for each rear corner was all it took to clear the 1500.

Back