Installing my new vinyl top: Tips from those who've been there

Discussion in 'X1/20 Forum' started by Chad C., Aug 26, 2018.

1. Chad C.

Chad C. Daily Driver

I was going through a bin of parts that came with my car, and I had a replacement vinyl top from an unknown manufacturer. It just had a tag on it that said what it was. It was in much better shape than I originally thought, and I see no reason why I shouldn't set about putting it on. Except, how the hell do I do that?

I did some poking around on this and other sites, and I couldn't find much of any info about replacing the top. If you've done this, and/or have instructions I'd sure like to hear from you!

Also, if you have a set of usable top straps, chime in : )

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  2. Chad C.

Chad C. Daily Driver

Damn, over 60 views and no info. It looks generally doable, but I've thought that before. Like when I replaced the top on my former 124 Spider and did fine except I cracked its windshield in the process. Right now I've got the fasteners soaking in penetrant and I'm hoping to find some top straps from somewhere in North America.

3. Mark

Mark FIATFREAK

Top straps are rarer than hens teeth. There were repros made that were too short and split faster than the originals. Didn't have the textured surface either. One of the reasons I started making double bubble tops 30 years ago. Not saying there aren't any to be found; just another part that makes a Scorpion next to impossible to restore. Not sure if the Montehospital's are the same too short versions.

4. motoTrooper

motoTrooper True Classic

Looking at my old dilapidated ones months ago, it seems like they would be ripe for remaking out of carbon fiber or steel, hinged with a stainless pin at the old crease/fold point.