Interesting Article on the 500

Yeah, Frank Stephenson has done some great work. I think he and his team nailed the retro updates, ie Mini and 500. He is an interesting guy, Swedish dad, Spanish? mom. He has lived all over the world. Worked for Ferrari, Alfa, Mclaren. He also has a strong socal connection, He graduated from Art Center in Pasadena.

No kidding...

That Art Center sure has a lot to be proud of with so many of its graduates going on to do great things!

BTW... we have a few here that attended... and instructed!

One is Andrew Leahy who went on to work for Fiat in Italy for a year or two and the other is Merkel Weiss who instructed... and I believe our Birthday Boy, Mike Busman attended a few classes there.

I see you joined in Dec 2009... but haven't seen you post before... Welcome...

Roberto Giolito is the 500 designer

Stop the presses! :D

The real credit for the design of the Fiat 500 goes to Roberto Giolito, the fellow who did the Fiat Trepiuno concept (shown at Geneva in 2004). Frank Stephenson didn't even arrive at Fiat Centro Stile until 2005, and I believe was (at most) involved in making the minor re-touches to take the original design into production (i.e, the Nuova 500). In my opinion, Stephenson deserves no credit whatsoever...

See the following articles,

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/roberto-giolito/
http://www.cardesignnews.com/site/designers/whos_where/display/store4/item95909/
http://www.southfloridafiat.com/201...him-discuss-all-things-cinquecento-in-this-v/

Regarding the Art Center, it has its share of students doing great work; Andreas Zapatinas and Jason Castriota come to mind. Let us not forget though that it's also the 'birthplace' of the :devil: himself, Chris Bangle and his :censored: Bangle Butt and :censored: flame surfacing. :dance2:

Whoops... what did I step in here?

Geez Ryan...

Are you related to any of these folks?

HA!

I was just surprised that Stephenson was somewhat associated with BOTH the 500 and the Mini... and that was my main point.

What's all this about Bangle Butt, flame surfacing, and who are these other guys...

Sorry old buddy,

but I never took any classes there. I went to school on the right coast. Besides, I've been told for years that I don't have good taste or a flair for the ambience. That's why I get relegated to crawling around boiler plants and mechanical equipment rooms.
Mike

There are a few of us on the forum. Merkel was one of my instructors and I am happy to say he still talks to me when he sees me :)

Remember before Chris Bangle (who used to wear Mickey Mouse ears to class at ACCD) did all of that stuff at BMW, he was at Fiat and had plenty to do with the Fiat Coupe and Barchetta as well as other more plebeian Fiat group vehicles.

Geez Ryan...

Are you related to any of these folks?

HA!

I was just surprised that Stephenson was somewhat associated with BOTH the 500 and the Mini... and that was my main point.

What's all this about Bangle Butt, flame surfacing, and who are these other guys...

Hey, I just wanted to give credit where credit is due. :D

Chris Bangle is the one who took BMW in its "new" direction. The Bangle Butt is a derogatory term for what he did to the BMW rear end, starting with the 7-series.

2002-bmw-7-series.jpg

Flame surfacing is a description of the sort of body contours he likes to use, for example, in the BMW 1-series.

bmw-1-serie.jpg

Jason Castriota designed cars like the new Maserati GranTurismo, and just recently got picked up to be SAAB's new head of design. I believe he is also credited with being involved in the new Lancia Stratos we've seen pictures of recently.

Andreas Zapatinas did the Fiat Barchetta, Alfa Romeo 145, some on the 147's rear (which is sort of 145'ish). Actually, another really good designer, in my opinion, is Walter de'Silva, who did the 147 and 156.

But, yeah, it is an interesting connection that Stephenson touched both the Cooper and 500; it is just not fair when they state that he is the 500 designer -- because he really isn't.

Remember before Chris Bangle (who used to wear Mickey Mouse ears to class at ACCD) did all of that stuff at BMW, he was at Fiat and had plenty to do with the Fiat Coupe and Barchetta as well as other more plebeian Fiat group vehicles.

Yeah, I knew that the Barchetta and Coupe were headed up by Bangle while at Fiat; I could see some of his surfacing ideas already in the Coupe. These were both very good designs. Regardless, his work at BMW was just vile, and felt very pretentious and arrogant. Hey, but it is just an opinion in what is a very subjective field. :innocent:

Took some evening classes there

There are a few of us on the forum. Merkel was one of my instructors and I am happy to say he still talks to me when he sees me :)

Long drive out for me but well worth it; always interesting cars in the parking lot. My classes had nothing to do with car design, and I never had Merkel for an instructor, but he might remember me from car night and the rear engine club. I left SoCal about 20 years ago, so I hope he's been eating his veggies.

I left Pasadena in '93 after graduating. With the current weather I really miss being there (and the fact I could drive my Fiats year round as daily drivers). My night classes were in '87/88, it was a great place to go to school, a bit different from most peoples college experience for sure.

Merkel is doing well. I spent most of the Freakout concours sitting with him in a 124 sedan chattering away. I have always enjoyed his company, his two sons are quite a pair from the sounds of things. He is slowing down a bit, age is age after all (not that I am much different).

Art Center

I graduated in 82. When you experience the level of talent some of these guys have, it's truly amazing. They are all good. Like Formula One at that level, there are no bad drivers, they only make mistakes.

Indeed, it's fun seeing many of the people I went with on various shows, in the credits for movies, product awards and so on. I chose a much less visible path in my career but am very happy with it.

Had I gone right out of high school, I could have also graduated around 82 but I clearly wasn't ready. Andy Ogden and Stan Kong must have been there when you were if my memory serves. I think I was very lucky as I was taught by many of the older instructors like Youngkin who retired in the nineties.

The good ones are amazing designers and artists, moving things forward can cause a remarkable amount of conflict.

I think Hooeydonk had more directly to do with flame surfacing and the butt than did the studio chief (Bangle), but not having been there I could be wrong.

Back