Interesting radiator in my 124

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
I have been having temperature issues with my 124. It isn't losing any coolant and the fan cycles, it just builds heat the further I drive. Turning on the heater will bring the temp down for a while and winter is coming!! ;)

I started poking around the cooling system to see what condition the various parts are in. This car has an automatic transmission, so I traced the trans cooler lines heading towards the radiator and found that they don't terminate in the side of the lower tank facing the engine, but are actually attached to the bottom of the lower tank with banjo bolt style fittings. I don't think I have seen that set up before. :eyepop:

If you look at the lower right corner of the rad you can see 2 thin steel lines coming off the frame rail and heading under the rad.
rad_trans_cooler_connect1.jpg

Then they attach to the bottom of the tank with some pretty large banjo fittings.
rad_trans_cooler_connect2.jpg

I think finding a replacement for this rad will prove difficult. If I need one I will have to look into using the rad and lines from an Automatic Spider, or maybe switch to a separate trans cooler.

You just need to get rid of that automatic and that pushrod motor, find a rotted Spider and you will have everything but the driveshaft...

You really need more to do :)

Right Karl

You keep telling me that, but somehow I doubt swapping to a twin-cam is that easy. I am making progress on getting this OHV engine running well. With the new DFEV and electric fuel pump, it now starts so much easier and runs a lot smoother.

I am looking into that

Ho Rod,

I have been browsing thru the selection of external transmission coolers. I will probably end up going in that direction when I commit to a new radiator. It is easy to find a non-automatic radiator for a 124. There are rads for the automatic spiders, but they don't have the cooling ports in the bottom.

Back