interesting x-1/9 engine swap engine

It still has the automatic in it. That was the only option for US cars. I think Canada got some manuals. Turns out that it is not a bad match for that motor although a manual wouldn't be more fun. There was a guy in Oakland that did a manual conversion to a T5R wagon some years ago. He also designed adapters to fit Porsche brakes on it. IPD was selling the adapters for a while.

It still has the automatic in it. That was the only option for US cars. I think Canada got some manuals. Turns out that it is not a bad match for that motor although a manual wouldn't be more fun. There was a guy in Oakland that did a manual conversion to a T5R wagon some years ago. He also designed adapters to fit Porsche brakes on it. IPD was selling the adapters for a while.

Manual conversions are easy on those - you can flash the ECU with the (available) EU market R manual tune, so no error codes and no emission issues.

I did a Porsche brake conversion F & R on my old P80 AWD (manual conversion) wagon - 928 calipers up front & Boxster front calipers in the rear :D

I've got the IPD (TME) flash on the ECU already. It is more aggressive than the EU R tune. Any way to mod the trans part without messing with the other IPD modded stuff (boost, torque limiting, speed limiting, etc.)? Or perhaps I should not ask as if I get deep enough into the project to replace the automatic, I might get sucked into making it AWD as well. I don't think 850s ever got it but the S70s did.

I've got the IPD (TME) flash on the ECU already. It is more aggressive than the EU R tune. Any way to mod the trans part without messing with the other IPD modded stuff (boost, torque limiting, speed limiting, etc.)? Or perhaps I should not ask as if I get deep enough into the project to replace the automatic, I might get sucked into making it AWD as well. I don't think 850s ever got it but the S70s did.

There were AWD 850's - in Canada they were offered with the 5 speed (M58) manual.

I don't know if there is a manual version of the 850R IPD tune - the base tune has to be either Manual or Auto to start with - no way to mod parts of an Auto tune to 'fool' it.

I think it depends on what kind of turbo you have.

Sure it does. But there is also some lag in any system. My 2012 Mini S had a very well-matched turbocharger to the engine size and flow, but even then there was a momentary lag. Same with the 500 Abarth, of which I have driven a couple. It's not '80s lag by any means, but it's still present.

Back